Food, Beverage and Hospitality
Ervin Cohen & Jessup’s Food, Beverage and Hospitality Department delivers practical solutions for our clients to meet their legal needs in all stages of their business. Our deep and diverse bench of effective and creative attorneys help anticipate problems and risks before they emerge, and address them as efficiently as possible. No matter what their legal needs are, we help our clients with their businesses every step of the way.
Our industry clients include hotels; restaurants; bars and entertainment venues of all sizes; food, beverage and supplement producers; alcohol distributors and importers; franchisors; growers; supermarket chains; and wellness and nutrition companies.
Our Food, Beverage and Hospitality Department attorneys works collaboratively to meet the legal needs of our clients across multiple legal practice groups, including:
Corporate: We counsel clients on how best to achieve their goals at all stages (from startup through expansion and potential sale), including advising on the right corporate entity to use, preparing the proper agreements between partners, drafting necessary documentation to obtain funding through investors, loans and other forms of financings, and negotiating the terms for acquisitions of a business and contracts with suppliers and vendors.
Employment: We help clients navigate through employment issues, including employment agreements and handbooks, wage and hour disputes, employee/independent contractor classification, and tip pooling.
Litigation and Dispute Resolution: ECJ’s experienced litigators handle a wide range of disputes in the industry, including partnership disputes, contract issues, trade secrets, employment and other business disputes. We work with clients to resolve partnership disagreements, leasing/purchase agreements, landlord/tenant issues and Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) lawsuits.
Tax Planning: We develop optimal tax strategies for clients at all stages (from startup through expansion and potential sale) and also advise clients on equity compensation, phantom equity and deferred compensation for key employees.
Real Estate: We counsel clients through real estate negotiations, including leasing and purchase agreements.
Land Use: We help clients navigate through permitting and licensing issues, including conditional use permits, building and environmental codes, and liquor license issues.
Insurance: We advise clients on insurance coverage and workers’ compensation issues.
Intellectual Property: We handle brand protection and intellectual property issues for clients, including trademarks and trade secret protection and the rights to use music and live television in venues.
Bankruptcy and Receivership: We help clients navigate through the winding down of the business, including filing bankruptcy documentation and receiverships.
Practice Group Chair
Media & Events
- Partner Pooja Nair Discusses the Legal Aspects of Recovery in the LA Business Journal's Food & Beverage RoundtableLos Angeles Business Journal, 07.20.2020
- Legal Bites, 08.05.2020
- Los Angeles County Proposes that Employees Report COVID-19 Violations through Public Health CommissionsLegal Bites, 07.28.2020
- Legal Bites, 07.27.2020
- Legal Bites, 07.24.2020
- Legal Bites, 07.21.2020
- Quick Service Restaurants Required to Make Composting/Recycling Bins Available to Customers for Food WasteLegal Bites, 07.16.2020
- Legal Bites, 07.15.2020
- California Issues Guidance For Restaurants Providing Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Drive-Through and DeliveryLegal Bites, The Staff Report, 07.13.2020
- Legal Bites, 07.13.2020
- Legal Bites, 07.08.2020
- Legal Bites, 07.06.2020
- Legal Bites, 07.01.2020
- Legal Bites, 06.29.2020
- Legal Bites, 06.29.2020
- Legal Bites, California Insurance Law Commentary, 06.25.2020
- Legal Bites, 06.24.2020
- The Staff Report, Legal Bites, 06.16.2020
- Legal Bites, 06.10.2020
- Legal Bites, 06.04.2020
- The Staff Report, Legal Bites, 06.03.2020
- The Staff Report, Legal Bites, 05.29.2020
- The Staff Report, Legal Bites, 05.19.2020
- The Staff Report, Legal Bites, 05.15.2020
- The Staff Report, Legal Bites, 05.14.2020
- The Staff Report, 05.05.2020
- The Staff Report, 05.04.2020
- The Staff Report, 05.01.2020
- The Staff Report, 04.22.2020
- The Staff Report, 04.13.2020
- The Staff Report, 04.10.2020
- The Staff Report, 04.09.2020
- The Staff Report, 04.02.2020
- The Staff Report, 03.30.2020
- California Insurance Law Commentary, 03.26.2020
- Proposed Fair Scheduling Act of 2020 Will Impose Fines and Additional Pay for the Failure to Provide Advance Notice of Worker SchedulesThe Staff Report, Legal Bites, 03.09.2020
- The Staff Report, 03.05.2020
- The Staff Report, Legal Bites, 08.14.2019
- Food Dive, 08.05.2020
- Modern Restaurant Management, 07.07.2020
- Modern Restaurant Management , 05.05.2020
- Modern Restaurant Management, 03.30.2020
- Modern Restaurant Management, 03.04.2020
- Los Angeles Daily Journal, 03.03.2020
- Los Angeles Daily Journal , 01.13.2020
- Partner Pooja Nair Publishes Recent Legal Updates Effecting the Food & Beverage and Hospitality IndustriesModern Restaurant Management , 01.02.2020
- Online Event, 08.20.2020