Peter S. Selvin is a business trial lawyer with more than three decades of experience. While his practice has been focused in the areas of insurance coverage and international litigation, he has touched many different areas of law, including real estate, intellectual property and professional liability disputes. Within those areas, Peter’s practice includes both trying cases and counseling clients how to avoid litigation. Chief among his strengths is his ability to counsel clients and help achieve strategic business solutions.
Peter has been published in numerous business and legal publications, including the International Financial Law Review, Executive Counsel, Risk & Insurance and Global Counsel. His publications have also appeared in professional publications in the UK, Germany, France, Mexico and Japan, among others countries.
His notable publications include a chapter on “Avoiding and Resolving Disputes In International Commercial Litigation” in the treatise International Law for CEOs: Lessons From Leading International Lawyers and a chapter on International Service of Process in the treatise Transatlantic Commercial Litigation and Arbitration (Oceana). Since 2012, Peter has been the author of the chapter on dispute resolution in California that has been part of Law Business Research’s annual treatise on International Dispute Resolution, which is a standard reference work in this area.
- TroyGould, Los Angeles, CA
- Loeb & Loeb LLP, Los Angeles, CA
Representative Directors and Officers Engagements
Representation of majority shareholders in closely held corporation in connection with “freeze-out” claims by minority shareholders.
Representation of former directors and officers of privately held real estate investment companies in breach of fiduciary duty and fraudulent transfer action brought by liquidating trustee of Chapter 11 estate.
Representation of registered investment advisor and its executives in lawsuit by minority shareholder and former employee for breach of fiduciary duty and fraud.
Representation of registered investment advisor and its executives in lawsuit by institutional shareholder for fraud, breach of fiduciary duty and related claims.
Representation of German media company and its former CEO in lawsuit brought by alleged joint venturers seeking damages in excess of $ 3 billion.
Representation of majority stockholder in privately held real estate investment trusts in shareholder suit for involuntary dissolution, breach of fiduciary and related claims.
Representation of trade association and its executives in connection with breach of fiduciary duty claims by former executive director.
Representation of majority stockholder in privately held manufacturing company in suit by minority shareholders for involuntary dissolution, breach of fiduciary duty related claims.
Representation of President and CEO of federally chartered savings and loan association in breach of fiduciary duty lawsuit brought by FSLIC; served as member of the defense counsel steering committee.
Representative Professional Liability Engagements
Representation of investment management company and one of its principals in negligence and breach of fiduciary suit by former customer.
Representation of celebrity personality in fraud and RICO suit by former company franchisees; suit handled under client's media liability policy.
Representation of national insurance broker in negligence action involving alleged "gap" in coverage.
Representation of non-profit organization in action against insurance broker for professional malpractice arising from placement of CGL policy.
Representation of institutional lender in federal court litigation arising out of defaulted $30.5 million construction loan. Successfully defended lender liability claims and obtained multi-million dollar recovery against general contractor.
Honors & Affiliations
Honors & Recognitions
Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
Insurance Litigation Institute of America, Charter Member
AV “Preeminent”, Martindale-Hubbell
Best Lawyers in America®, Commercial Litigation and Insurance Law, 2007-present
Southern California Super Lawyers, Business Litigation, 2007-present
Community & Professional
Association of Business Trial Lawyers, Board of Governors, 2006-2010
Los Angeles County Bar Association, International Law Section, Executive Committee, 1996-2001
American Bar Association
International Bar Association
Media & Events
- Los Angeles Daily Journal, 12.03.2019
- Co-Author, The D&O Diary, 04.29.2019
- Getting the Deal Through, 2018 (annual contributor since 2012)
- Los Angeles Daily Journal, 05.23.2018
- Los Angeles Daily Journal, 07.28.2017
- Financier Worldwide, 06.2017
- Financier Worldwide, 12.2016
- Los Angeles Daily Journal, 11.28.2016
- Getting The Deal Through, 07.2015
- Global Legal Group, in association with CDR, 07.2015
- Global Legal Group Ltd, London, 06.2015
- Getting The Deal Through, 08.2014
- Practical Law: Multi-Jurisdictional Guide 2014/2015, 08.2014
- Litigation Commentary & Review, 04.2014
- Claims Journal, 02.2014
- Claims Journal, 02.2014
- Los Angeles Daily Journal, 08.01.2013
- Getting The Deal Through, 08.2013
- The International Bar Association's Insurance Committee Newsletter, Spring 2013
- Los Angeles Business Journal, 10.24.2012
- Los Angeles Daily Journal, 10.24.2012
- Los Angeles Daily Journal, 07.25.2012
- Journal, Copyright Society of the U.S.A., 06.21.2007
- Annual Roundtable on CybersecurityCalifornia Lawyer, Panelist, 10.2017
- Insurance Coverage For Cyber RisksInternational Bar Association, Dublin, Ireland, 10.2012
- Insurance Coverage For IP ClaimsBeverly Hills Bar Association, Beverly Hills, CA, 05.2012
J.D., University of California, Los Angeles, School of Law
M.A., English Language and Literature, University of Chicago
B.A., University of California, San Diego, with highest honors
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit