Jeffrey R. Glassman is Partner and Chair of the Intellectual Property and Technology Law Department and has earned the esteemed designation of Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US).
Jeffrey has spent the last two decades working as a corporate attorney representing entrepreneurs, investors, start-ups, emerging growth and lower middle-market companies. During the dot com boom, Jeffrey was in-house counsel to a software development company in Silicon Valley. While in-house he negotiated complex technology licensing agreements, assisted the sales team with structuring deals, supervised the development and protection of the company’s intellectual property (“IP”) portfolio, implemented stock options plans and negotiated executive employment packages to recruit high-level talent, managed the company’s efforts to comply with complex employment laws and regulations, and helped close a $35 million round of financing.
Jeffrey counsels clients on choice, formation, legal mechanics and organization of corporate entities, limited liability companies and partnerships; corporate governance and compliance, advising the Board of Directors, and shareholder and investor rights and liabilities; raising capital including angel and venture financing; compliance with federal and state securities laws and private placement memoranda; employment agreements; stock option and phantom equity plans and agreements; protection of IP and trade secrets, proprietary information; contracts and general business matters; and mergers and acquisitions, recapitalizations, and other exit strategies; the development and protection of IP portfolios; and a wide variety of business transactions and disputes.
In addition, Jeffrey advises clients on a wide variety of transactional, regulatory and litigation matters including, but not limited to, issues related to cutting-edge Internet, mobile marketing, social media, viral and influencer marketing; keyword and other search issues; false advertising claims, how to ensure use of truthful communications with consumers; endorsements and testimonials in advertising, product promotion and placement, and disclosures of material connections with endorsers and influencers; native advertising and the subtle integration of brand and marketing messages into digital content; tracking of consumers’ online and mobile activities; and compliance with FTC guidelines and the CAN-SPAM Act.
Represented Scandinavian publicly traded company in $15 million dollar reverse triangular merger involving a Silicon Valley based digital pen manufacturer.
Represented entertainment and event technology solutions company in $9 million sale to strategic buyer.
Represented advertising and marketing company in $7 million sale to private equity group.
Represented video technology start-up in $3 million early stage financing.
Represented high profile professional athlete in $1 million seed round financing of clothing designer and manufacturer.
Represented social networking mobile app developer in $500,000 angel round financing through convertible preferred notes.
Represented tutoring services mobile app developer in $500,000 friends and family round of financing.
Represented software company in connection with development, licensing and distribution of technology platform and customized tools for use by advertising and marketing agencies and other content producers in connection with computer-generated imagery.
Represented lifestyle, beauty, fashion and entertainment blog in connection with software development, strategic alliances, joint ventures and partnership agreements.
Represented USC software programmers and developers in structuring private placement memorandum for use in raising $5 million in early stage capital to launch disruptive social networking platform.
Corporate counsel to start-up company launching new technology platform designed to assist healthcare facilities, providers and business associates with implementing a data secure and regulatory compliant IT infrastructure.
Corporate counsel to angel investment group focused on early stage investment in technology and entertainment companies through convertible preferred notes.
Corporate counsel to digital security company in connection with more than 100 transactions including complex agreements with partners, vendors, and clients.
Corporate counsel to start-up company involved in licensing iconic Hollywood brand into video games for consoles, websites and mobile apps.
Corporate counsel to lower-middle market company and one of the largest rent-to-own custom wheel and tire retailers in the country with over 100 locations in more than 15 states.
Corporate counsel to 100-year-old lower middle-market company involved in manufacturing and distribution of high-quality ingredients to restaurants across the country.
Corporate counsel to company with e-commerce platform for multi-channel retailers to use cutting edge technology-based marketing techniques to engage consumers, enhance brands and drive sales volume.
Corporate counsel to digital agency engaged in website, mobile app and software development for blockbuster Hollywood movie marketing campaigns, augmented and virtual reality, and digital location experiences.
Corporate counsel to large information technology service provider that sold to strategic buyer for $20 million.
Corporate counsel to developer and distributor of medical devices, point-of-care diagnostics kits, laboratory equipment, instrumentation for physicians’ offices, clinics and hospitals.
Corporate counsel to one of the largest tutoring services companies in California.
Corporate counsel to national distributor of wire and cable products, and audio and video components serving residential and commercial audio, video, alarm and security, electrical contracting and data centers.
Corporate counsel to advertising and marketing technology company. Assisted in development of international trademark portfolio.
Corporate counsel to garment manufacturer. Assisted in development of international trademark portfolio for multiple clothing lines.
Corporate counsel to start-up company involved in developing and launching new social media technology platform.
Corporate counsel to entertainment company involved in merging and consolidating five separate entities.
Negotiated complex settlement agreement between digital security service provider and publicly traded company with $2.5 billion market cap prior to public offering.
Negotiated complex settlement agreement between privately held music management company and global music publisher with $60 billion market cap.
Negotiated complex separation agreement between shareholders of a $15 million digital advertising and marketing agency.
Honors & Affiliations
Honors & Recognitions
Southern California Super Lawyers, 2011-Present
Southern California Super Lawyers, Rising Stars, 2008 and 2009
Community & Professional
Los Angeles County Bar Association, Co-Chair of Programs, Executive Committee
Entertainment Law and Intellectual Property Section
ProVisors (Professional Association of Trusted Advisors)
Media & Events
- Ervin Cohen & Jessup Partner Jeffrey Glassman Receives Certified Information Privacy Manager Credential10.05.2021
- Los Angeles Business Journal, 08.10.2020
- Los Angeles Business Journal, 02.24.2020
- Business Guide to the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018: Five Steps in Preparation for Compliance08.01.2019
- Bytes, Sites & Rights, 11.30.2020
- Bytes, Sites & Rights, Legal Bites, 10.23.2020
- Bytes, Sites & Rights, 06.25.2020
- Bytes, Sites & Rights, 06.11.2020
- Bytes, Sites & Rights, 06.10.2020
- Bytes, Sites & Rights, 06.09.2020
- Bytes, Sites & Rights, 06.08.2020
- Business Guide to the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018: Five Steps in Preparation for ComplianceBytes, Sites & Rights, 08.01.2019
- California Consumer Privacy Act Update: Ongoing Efforts by the Attorney General and California Senate To Refine the CCPA Through Rulemaking and AmendmentsBytes, Sites & Rights, 07.19.2019
- Bytes, Sites & Rights, 02.19.2019
- Bytes, Sites & Rights, 10.08.2018
- Bytes, Sites & Rights, 09.14.2018
- California’s New Privacy Bill of Rights: How The California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 Will Empower Consumers and Create New Burdens For Data Driven BusinessesBytes, Sites & Rights, 07.08.2018
- Bytes, Sites & Rights, 06.23.2015
- Bytes, Sites & Rights, 08.04.2014
- Los Angeles Business Journal, 02.24.2020
- Too Much Lawyering Hurts Technology CompaniesLos Angeles Daily Journal, 11.2011
- Choosing the Right EntityManagement Consulting News
- Financing for Corporate GrowthSan Fernando Valley Business Journal
- The Businessman's Best FriendSuper Lawyers Rising Star magazine (featured), 2009
- Ervin Cohen & Jessup LLP, Virtual Seminar, 02.23.2023
- Webinar, 05.04.2021
- Presented by MarketScale, Online Event, 12.02.2020
- Ervin Cohen & Jessup LLP, 10.28.2020
- California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018: Consumer Rights, Business Obligations and Plan for ComplianceHospitality Financial & Technology Professionals – Los Angeles Chapter, Los Angeles, CA, 11.20.2019
- Information Systems Audit and Control Association (ISACA), Los Angeles Chapter, Monterey Park, CA, 03.19.2019
- Panelist, Los Angeles County Bar Association, Entertainment Law and Intellectual Property Section, 06.2012
- New Media Wheeling and DealingPanelist, Digital Hollywood, 05.2012
- New Media Wheeling and DealingDigital Hollywood, 10.2011
- Drafting the Next New Media ContractPanelist, Digital Hollywood, 10.2010
- Business Law for EntrepreneursUCLA Extension, Los Angeles, CA, 2005-2009
J.D., American University, Washington College of Law, Dean’s Fellow
B.A., University of Wisconsin, Madison, With Distinction
Certified Information Privacy Manager, IAPP, 2021
Certified Information Privacy Professional/U.S., IAPP, 2020
- District of Columbia