A wide variety of clients in the real estate industry turn to the Real Estate Law Department of Ervin Cohen & Jessup for legal counsel. Our clients are engaged in construction, development, lending, brokerage, leasing and other aspects of real estate, and include commercial developers, large and small corporations and real estate lenders, brokers, investors and title insurance companies involved in real property matters throughout the United States.
Services for the Real Estate Industry
Attorneys in our Real Estate Law Department frequently lecture and publish in the field of commercial real estate law, and provide clients with real estate counsel in the following areas:
- Purchase, sale, lease, planning, subdivision, development, construction, operation and financing of office buildings, hotels, shopping and industrial centers, single and multi-unit residential projects and other types of commercial, investment and residential properties
- Construction and permanent financing and syndications
- Loan workouts
- Development and acquisition services
- Tax planning services
- Specialized, low income, HUD and other grant and subsidy programs
- Construction and public works
- Litigation representation
- Land use, entitlements and environmental services including CEQA, EIRs, ADA, development agreements and historical preservation
- Property management and broker agreements
- Title and survey analysis and title insurance requirements
- Contractor, engineer, architect and construction management agreements
- Community redevelopment agency acquisition agreements and owner participation agreements
- CC&Rs, REAs and adjoining landowner agreements
- Tax-deferred and “tax-free” like-kind real property exchanges
- Acquisition and sale of REO properties
We also represent clients before all applicable governmental agencies, including zoning authorities, the California Coastal Commission and other regulatory bodies.
ECJ’s attorneys regularly advise on a broad range of complex financing transactions involving secured and unsecured financing at all levels of the capital structure. We have advised lenders, borrowers, note purchasers, lessors and lessees on transactions for acquisition, bridge, project finance, lease, reorganization, recapitalization and working capital purposes. We bring extensive experience and a practical approach to each transaction, understanding that our clients not only demand and deserve superior quality representation in closing their transactions, but also need their counsel to be efficient and cost effective.
In the real estate lending area, ECJ represents a wide range of commercial banks and other financial institutions with construction lending, senior secured financing, conventional long-term secured loans, participation loans, tax-exempt financings, affordable housing financing, loan work-outs and other lending transactions. Our unique skills allow us to use our knowledge and experience in representing major financial institutions on sophisticated transactions as well as provide value and benefit to smaller organizations due to our efficiency and affordable rates.
Practice Group Chair
Media & Events
- Client Alert: Changes to TOC Tier Determinations Are Coming in December – Be Careful Before Buying New Properties and Get Your Applications In Now!12.03.2018
- The Real Dirt, 08.31.2015
- The Real Dirt, 02.09.2015
- GGI Real Estate Newsletter, Fall 2019
- Proper Use of the Lis Pendens – The Best Way to Protect Your Real Property Interests – Part I and IIReal Estate Reporter, Ervin Cohen & Jessup LLP, 04.2003