Philip Starr is a Partner in the Real Estate and Tax Departments.
His areas of practice include real estate acquisitions, leasing and financing transactions, federal and state tax controversies, tax-deferred exchanges, low income housing tax credits, corporate and partnership taxation, and general business law.
While in law school, Philip,was a Judicial Extern to the Honorable Stephen R. Reinhardt, Circuit Court Judge, United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, and a recipient of the American Jurisprudence Award for Contracts, Wills and Trusts, Torts and Real Property Secured Transactions. He attended the State University of New York at Binghamton, earning a B.A. in 1971.
Philip is a frequent author and lecturer. His publications include Minimizing Documentary Transfer Taxes in Partnership Transactions, Los Angeles Lawyer, January 1997; New Transitional Provisions Enacted for OID and Inputed Interest Rules, California Business Law Reporter and Guidelines for the Termination of the Accrual of Interest on Federal Tax Deficiencies, State Bar of California Tax News Section. Philip was a panelist for California Continuing Education for the Bar’s Organizing and Advising Partnerships, and served as Chair of the Tax-Deferred Exchange Seminar, for the Beverly Hills Bar Association.
Honors & Affiliations
Honors & Recognitions
American Jurisprudence Award for Contracts, Wills, Trusts & Torts
American Jurisprudence Award for Real Property Secured Transactions
Community & Professional
Beverly Hills Bar Association, Taxation Section-Chair, 1989-1990
Westside YMCA, Chairman and Board of Managers, 1998 – Present
Pluralistic School #1, Board of Directors
California Affordable Housing Forum (CAHF), Founding Member
University of California at Los Angeles Law Alumni Association, Alumni Awards Nominating Committee
Media & Events
- Minimizing Documentary Transfer Taxes in Partnership TransactionsLos Angeles Lawyer, 01.1997
- New Transitional Provisions Enacted for OID and Inputed Interest RulesCalifornia Business Law Reporter, 01.1985
- Guidelines for the Termination of the Accrual of Interest on Federal Tax DeficienciesTax Section News, State Bar of California Tax Section, Spring 1983
- Personal Tax Planning for Professionals and Owners of Small BusinessesCo-Author, Supplements, California Continuing Education of the Bar, 1985-1990
- Tax Reform Act of 1984: Pitfalls and Opportunities for the Business LawyerCo-Author, California Business Law Reporter, 10.1984
- Tax Planning for Proposed and Outstanding Federal Tax DeficienciesCo-Author, Tax Section News, State Bar of California Tax Section, Summer 1985
- Organizing and Advising PartnershipsPanelist, California Continuing Education for the Bar, 06.1989
- Tax-Deferred Exchange SeminarChair, Beverly Hills Bar Association, 12.1988
J.D., University of California, Los Angeles, School of Law, Order of the Coif
B.A., The State University of New York, Binghamton, NY
- Hon. Stephen R. Reinhardt, Circuit Court Judge, United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, Judicial Extern, 1982
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Tax Court