Blake Alsbrook acts as a receiver and counsel for prominent receivers throughout California appointed to general equity, Family Code, rents and profits, Health and Safety Code, and regulatory receiverships. He also provides legal counsel for and acts as a partition referee, successor trustee, and provisional director in matters involving property and business disputes.
In addition to advising fiduciaries on the impact of California and federal law on their practice, Blake has significant civil litigation experience defending and prosecuting actions on behalf of receivers and businesses, and regularly practices and argues before the California Court of Appeal and the United States Bankruptcy Court.
Briefed and prevailed before California Court of Appeal and California Supreme Court, City of Sierra Madre v. SunTrust Mortgage, Inc. (2019) 32 Cal. App.5th 648, review denied (May 22, 2019), resulting in pivotal published opinion on receivership law.
Achieved disputed $75M sale of Orange County business in satisfaction of judgment as lead counsel for post-judgment receiver.
Achieved contested receiver sales of multiple San Francisco apartment buildings and defended Superior Court's orders in Court of Appeal and United States Bankruptcy Court.
Represented receiver of a low-income housing developer that perpetrated $100M+ fraud against California cities and banks in Los Angeles Superior Court complex division and directed India litigation team.
Honors & Affiliations
Honors & Recognitions
Southern California Super Lawyers, Rising Stars, 2019
Community & Professional
Los Angeles County Bar Association, Executive Committee Member, Remedies Section
California Receivers Forum, Board of Directors
Bet Tzedek New Leadership Council
Beverly Hills Bar Association
Media & Events
- City of Sierra Madre v. SunTrust: Court of Appeal Issues Pivotal Opinion Reaffirming Validity of Super-Priority Receiver's CertificatesReceivership News, Summer 2019
- Fending Off Bankruptcy Bullies: A New Strategy for ReceiversReceivership News, Summer 2015
- Why Rents and Profits Receivers May Sell Property and Courts May Authorize Real Property Sales Free and Clear of Liens: A Rejoinder to the 'Ten Commandments'Receivership News, Winter 2012
- CRF Loyola VIII Symposium, Renaissance Hotel, Newport Beach, 01.24.2020
- Meeting with a Bankruptcy Judge and the Insolvency ExpertsInsolvency Law Standing Committee of CLA and Los Angeles County Bar Association Remedies Section, Fall 2019
- 'Vice' ReceivershipsLos Angeles County Bar Association, Remedies Section
- Health and Safety Code Receiverships: Legal Breakthroughs and Lessons for the TrenchesCalifornia Receivers Forum, Summer 2019
- Cannabis ReceivershipsCalifornia Receivers Forum, Summer 2018
- Contempt! - Preparation, Trial and County JailCalifornia Receivers Forum, Spring 2014
J.D., University of Michigan Law School, cum laude
B.A., University of California, Santa Barbara, Political Science