Introducing… AB 2257 (Just When You Were Getting Used To AB 5)
Remember Assembly Bill 5? The California statute that expanded the Supreme Court of California’s landmark Dynamex decision and adopted the “ABC” test to determine employee vs. independent contractor status?
Like most things in 2020, that didn’t turn out as planned.
Enter Assembly Bill 2257. Signed into law by Governor Newsom on September 4, 2020, AB 2257 completely overhauls AB 5 and reexamines the tests – and the many exemptions – for classifying employees. These many changes and additional exemptions include, but are not limited to:
- New business-to-business exemptions
- A “single engagement” provision
- New provisions for the music and entertainment industries
- Revised provisions for freelance writers, photographers and others
- Changes to the professional services exemptions
- Revised referral agency exemptions
- Expanded occupational exemptions
9:30 am - 10:45 am
Partner and Chair of ECJ's Employment Law Department