Jason Haas is Of Counsel in the Litigation Department.
Jason has spent over seventeen years litigating a wide variety of complex business disputes for his clients in federal and state courts and in private arbitration. Jason focuses his practice on domestic and international litigation at the intersection of law, business and technology, including:
- technology transactions,
- intellectual property, and
- emerging litigation in the areas of cybersecurity and data privacy.
Jason has substantial experience in litigating
Types of Disputes
- IT services agreements
- Licensing agreements
- Acquisition deals
- Indemnity issues
- Patent infringement
- Owner/management disputes
- Class actions
- Real Estate
Jason brings a pragmatic approach to resolving each dispute. Investing time early in a case to understand the facts and craft an effective strategy is a key part of his approach. Jason also carefully selects which issues to fight, and when, in order to maximize the impact of his client’s investment and avoid wasting resources on unnecessary legal battles.
Jason has served for over twelve years on the Board of Trustees for Ocean Charter School. He is currently Vice-Chairman of the Board and plays a major role in the school’s effort to build a new K-8 facility in the Del Rey neighborhood of Los Angeles. Jason has also has served as a pro bono lawyer for Public Counsel and Bet Tzedek in Los Angeles.
In his spare time, Jason is a (non-performing) member of the Academy of Magic Arts.
Published Opinion: Brehm v. Eisner, 906 A.2d 27 (Del. 2006).
Sample Matters in Technology and Intellectual Property
IT Services Agreements
- Represented a customer service call center in an action involving contract disputes and business torts against a global electronics manufacturer. After a six-week trial, jury found other party liable for fraud damages of over $1.4 million.
- Represented domestic telecommunications company in suit for writ of attachment by a Russian company in connection with ongoing Swiss arbitration. Obtained order setting aside entry of default and then dismissal of action without leave to amend.
- Represent computer services company in federal action against large multinational corporation for breaching long-term computer supply and services agreement.
- Represented online medical records company in claim for breach of patent license agreement. Settled action after two days of bench trial.
- Represent medical device company in arbitration against claim for breach of patent license agreement relating to surgical wax used in bone surgery.
- Represented Indian client sued for failing to close on acquisition of several Internet subsidiaries from multinational corporation.
- Represent electronics manufacturer in failed billion-plus merger in action against Chinese company who failed to close on merger and then engaged in scheme to reduce its liability for termination fees by tens of millions of dollars.
- Represented client in patent infringement actions against a dozen automobile manufacturers in California and Michigan federal court. Patents included safety and sensor technology. Cases settled shortly before trial.
- Represented large medical device manufacturer in patent litigation involving immunoassay diagnostic devices. Patents included software for scheduling algorithms and mechanical components. Case settled shortly before trial.
- Represented former president of large entertainment company in shareholder derivative claims for breach of fiduciary duty for receiving a $100+ million severance package. Executive obtained a complete victory in a multi-week bench trial in Delaware Chancery Court, and ruling affirmed by Delaware Supreme Court.
- Represented approximately 1,700 investors in a “mass action” seeking to recover up to $200,000,000 in losses suffered from a Ponzi-scheme involving a medical receivables corporation.
- Represented small auction company in class action litigation relating to on-line auction software. Obtained favorable settlement on non-class basis prior to any formal discovery or motion practice.