Jeffrey R. Glassman is a Partner in the Business & Corporate Department.
Jeffrey has spent the last two decades working as a corporate attorney representing entrepreneurs, investors, start-ups, emerging growth and lower middle-market companies. During the dot com boom, Jeffrey was in-house counsel to a software development company in Silicon Valley. While in-house he negotiated complex technology licensing agreements, assisted the sales team with structuring deals, supervised the development and protection of the company’s intellectual property (“IP”) portfolio, implemented stock options plans and negotiated executive employment packages to recruit high-level talent, managed the company’s efforts to comply with complex employment laws and regulations, and helped close a $35 million round of financing.
Jeffrey counsels clients on choice, formation, legal mechanics, and organization of corporate entities, limited liability companies, and partnerships; corporate governance and compliance, advising the Board of Directors, and shareholder and investor rights and liabilities; raising capital including angel and venture financing; compliance with federal and state securities laws and private placement memoranda; employment agreements; stock option and phantom equity plans and agreements; protection of IP and trade secrets, proprietary information; contracts and general business matters; and mergers and acquisitions, recapitalizations, and other exit strategies; the development and protection of IP portfolios; and a wide variety of business transactions and disputes.
In addition, Jeffrey advises clients on a wide variety of transactional, regulatory, and litigation matters including, but not limited to, issues related to cutting-edge Internet, mobile marketing, social media, viral, and influencer marketing; keyword and other search issues; false advertising claims, how to ensure use of truthful communications with consumers; endorsements and testimonials in advertising, product promotion and placement, and disclosures of material connections with endorsers and influencers; native advertising and the subtle integration of brand and marketing messages into digital content; tracking of consumers’ online and mobile activities; and compliance with FTC guidelines and the CAN-SPAM Act.
Jeffrey has lectured at UCLA-extension and USC’s Gould School of Law on the topic of “Business Law for Entrepreneurs”. He has also been named a Southern California Super Lawyer every year since 2011 and a Southern California Rising Star in 2008 and 2009. Jeffrey was also featured in the 2009 Super Lawyers Rising Stars magazine in the article, “The Businessman’s Best Friend”.
- Represented Scandinavian publicly traded company in $15 million dollar reverse triangular merger involving a Silicon Valley based digital pen manufacturer.
- Represented entertainment and event technology solutions company in $9 million sale to strategic buyer.
- Represented advertising and marketing company in $7 million sale to private equity group.
- Represented video technology start-up in $3 million early stage financing.
- Represented high profile professional athlete in $1 million seed round financing of clothing designer and manufacturer.
- Represented social networking mobile app developer in $500,000 angel round financing through convertible preferred notes.
- Represented tutoring services mobile app developer in $500,000 friends and family round of financing.
- Represented software company in connection with development, licensing and distribution of technology platform and customized tools for use by advertising and marketing agencies and other content producers in connection with computer-generated imagery.
- Represented lifestyle, beauty, fashion, and entertainment blog in connection with software development, strategic alliances, joint ventures, and partnership agreements.
- Represented USC software programmers and developers in structuring private placement memorandum for use in raising $5 million in early stage capital to launch disruptive social networking platform.
- Corporate counsel to start-up company launching new technology platform designed to assist healthcare facilities, providers, and business associates with implementing a data secure and regulatory compliant IT infrastructure.
- Corporate counsel to angel investment group focused on early stage investment in technology and entertainment companies through convertible preferred notes.
- Corporate counsel to digital security company in connection with more than 100 transactions including complex agreements with partners, vendors, and clients.
- Corporate counsel to start-up company involved in licensing iconic Hollywood brand into video games for consoles, websites, and mobile apps.
- Corporate counsel to lower-middle market company and one of the largest rent-to-own custom wheel and tire retailers in the country with over 100 locations in more than 15 states.
- Corporate counsel to 100-year old lower middle-market company involved in manufacturing and distribution of high-quality ingredients to restaurants across the country.
- Corporate counsel to company with e-commerce platform for multi-channel retailers to use cutting edge technology-based marketing techniques to engage consumers, enhance brands, and drive sales volume.
- Corporate counsel to digital agency engaged in website, mobile app and software development for blockbuster Hollywood movie marketing campaigns, augmented and virtual reality, and digital location experiences.
- Corporate counsel to large information technology service provider that sold to strategic buyer for $20 million.
- Corporate counsel to developer and distributor of medical devices, point-of-care diagnostics kits, instrumentation for physicians’ offices, clinics, and hospitals, and laboratory equipment.
- Corporate counsel to one of the largest tutoring services companies in California.
- Corporate counsel to national distributor of wire and cable products, and audio and video components serving residential and commercial audio, video, alarm and security, electrical contracting and data centers.
- Corporate counsel to advertising and marketing technology company. Assisted in development of international trademark portfolio.
- Corporate counsel to garment manufacturer. Assisted in development of international trademark portfolio for multiple clothing lines.
- Corporate counsel to start-up company involved in developing and launching new social media technology platform.
- Corporate counsel to entertainment company involved in merging and consolidating five separate entities.
- Negotiated complex settlement agreement between digital security service provider and publicly traded company with $2.5 billion market cap prior to public offering.
- Negotiated complex settlement agreement between privately held music management company and global music publisher with $60 billion market cap.
- Negotiated complex separation agreement between shareholders of a $15 million digital advertising and marketing agency.
- March 2019 – "California Consumer Privacy Act," ISACA LA – Panelist
- June 2012 – “Start-Up Dos and Don’ts: Business and Legal Considerations for IP-Based Start-Up Companies,” Los Angeles County Bar Association, Entertainment Law and Intellectual Property Section, June 2012 (Click here to view video of full presentation.) – Panelist
- May 2012 – “New Media Wheeling and Dealing,” Digital Hollywood – Panelist
- October 2011 – “New Media Wheeling and Dealing,” Digital Hollywood
- October 2010 – “Drafting the Next New Media Contract”, Digital Hollywood – Panelist
- 2005 – 2009 – “Business Law for Entrepreneurs” UCLA Extension, Los Angeles, CA – Speaker
- “Did Apple Get it Right on Data Security and Privacy?” Author — Law360, Feb. 2016
- “The Nuts & Bolts of Digital Advertising” Author — Bytes, Sites, and Rights, June, 2015
- “Aereo and Napster: Lessons in Licensing” Author — Bytes, Sites, and Rights, August, 2014
- “Too much lawyering hurts technology companies” Author — Los Angeles Daily Journal, Nov. 2011
- “Choosing the Right Entity” Author — Management Consulting News
- “Financing for Corporate Growth” Author — San Fernando Valley Business Journal
- Moldo Davidson Fraioli Seror & Sestanovich LLP, Los Angeles, California, Partner