Geoffrey M. Gold is a trial lawyer specializing in business and real estate matters, and is a Partner in ECJ’s Litigation and Real Estate Departments. Clients appreciate Geoff’s ability and proven track record in obtaining significant arbitration awards, favorable mediation results and settlements, grants of summary judgment and trial victories while keeping costs under control. Geoff has litigated to successful conclusion hundreds of cases over the past 24 years, including contractual controversies, complex partnership disputes, specific performance cases, business divorces, real estate partitions, insurance coverage challenges, construction defect, lender liability and professional negligence claims, business and personal injury torts, corporate dissolutions, employment issues, probate and trust litigation, proceedings in bankruptcy court, conflicts between competitors and concerning unfair business practices, boundary line and neighbor cases, and issues arising in commercial and real estate transactions and pertaining to deal-makers and breakers, brokers, adjacent property owners, and parties in lease, buy-sell, or buy-out situations.
Geoff frequently acts as outside general counsel for small business clients and special counsel for large companies. He has particular expertise in working with developing businesses and assisting individual and corporate clients with their everyday legal affairs. Geoff has substantial experience negotiating, documenting and closing difficult real estate transactions.
Geoff received his Juris Doctor degree from the University of California, Boalt Hall School of Law, Berkeley, in 1989. He received his Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics/Political Science, Summa Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa, from the University of Rochester, New York, in 1986.
Geoff is a member of the Board of Directors of Bet Tzedek and is active in a variety of professional, charitable and community associations. He has a wife and three sons. He is originally from Washington, D.C. He maintains a Martindale-Hubbell peer review rating of AV Preeminent.
Areas of Practice
- Business and Commercial Litigation
- Real Estate Litigation
- Contractual Controversies
- Complex Partnership Disputes
- Insurance Coverage Challenges
- Construction Defect Litigation
- Business and Personal Injury Torts
- Professional Liability
- Corporate Dissolutions
- Probate Litigation
- Bankruptcy Litigation
- Real Estate Transactions
- Won $1.8 million settlement for a plaintiff estate of an 84 year old decedent against a defendant real estate partner who had breached fiduciary duties and engaged in financial elder abuse. Case resolved at the final status and mandatory settlement conference five days before three week jury trial was set to start.
- Conducted 30 court day bench trial winning favorable decision in excess of $750,000 for 85 year old property owner in case involving manager who embezzled hundreds of thousands in rents but had the audacity to sue the owner for $1.6 million in damages on various theories. The trial court found the property manager to have defrauded the owner and committed elder abuse.
- Successfully defended majority owner in two restaurants against claims brought by minority owner who had alleged wrongful termination. Case settled favorably for majority owner in mediation.
- Won jury trial defense verdict for a commercial machine shop sued by a trucking company for negligence, breach of contract, fraud and unfair business practices. Obtained award of costs and sanctions in excess of $40,000 even though there was no contractual fee provision. Result affirmed on appeal.
- Won arbitration award totaling over $400,000 for expert witness accounting firm against lawyer who had hired the firm but failed to pay the fee. Arbitration award affirmed by trial court. Result affirmed on appeal.
- Won dismissal on summary judgment of lawsuit seeking over $25 million for alleged oral breach of contract by decedent to transfer shares of public company.
- Successfully defended seller of real property against claims brought by listing broker. Won partial summary judgment and then judicial arbitration. Recovered over $75,000 in attorney’s fees in settlement after broker attempted to dismiss without prejudice the day of trial.
- Won dismissal on summary judgment of claims for sexual assault and battery brought against physician. Won jury trial verdict in favor of doctor on his cross-complaint of defamation for over $2.35 million in compensatory and punitive damages. Case settled confidentially and favorably while on appeal.
- Aided 40% owner of bakery business in shareholder dispute, successfully moved for appointment of receiver and obtained order for dissolution, then when 60% owner put company into bankruptcy, assisted with purchase of assets from the trustee so client won 100% of the business at discounted price.
- Won arbitration award in favor of a neurologist in a medical practice dispute. Defeated cross-claims and recovered six-figure amount including attorney’s fees.
- Represented two orthopedic surgeons in a dispute with a third orthopedic surgeon over alleged partnership, division of accounts receivable, and cross-claims regarding rights to tangible and intangible property. Litigated the case to final decision in arbitration, defeating all cross-claims and winning award of over $500,000, including attorney’s fees, with clients obtaining full recovery.
- Assisted major retailer tenant in a construction defect/breach of lease lawsuit against landlord relating to falling roof beams and structural issues at a large store in Orange County. Following mediation, obtained seven figure settlement and complete repair of the property by landlord.
- Assisted contractor/developer in dispute with alleged partner regarding six real estate projects involving buildings worth several million dollars. Complex dispute centered on oral agreements and contributions of labor and capital. Obtained expungement of lis pendens on property. Moved for summary judgment and settled case favorably in mediation.
- Represented partner/co-founder of music awards show regarding claims for breach of fiduciary duty. Resolved matter on terms highly favorable to the client with the client becoming the exclusive owner of all assets.
- Defended seller of three-unit building in Manhattan Beach against specific performance action after lis pendens was filed by buyers. Moved to compel arbitration. Won dismissal of case in favor of seller on a motion for judgment following opening statements in arbitration with a final award of over $105,000, including complete recovery of all costs and fees incurred and expenses for experts.
- Successfully represented post production studio tenant in North Hollywood against landlord in a suit regarding a leaky roof and resulting damages. Landlord property owner cross-claimed against contractors, turning suit into a complex, multi-party construction defect case. Following mediation, obtained settlement in mid six figures in favor of tenant as compensation and complete fix of the property.
- Prosecuted specific performance complaint on behalf of prospective tenant-purchaser holder of a Culver City commercial real property lease option. Moved for summary judgment and with motion pending, matter settled in mediation with client recovering payment of $75,000 for attorney’s fees and costs as well as stipulated order granting specific performance and delivery of possession of real property.
- Filed specific performance suit in support of lis pendens against landowner who made false representations to induce buyer to cancel escrow of industrial property in South San Francisco. Litigated case through arbitration based on fraud/breach of contract theory and won order by arbitrator mandating specific performance. Secured and enforced entry of judgment compelling specific performance and recovered over $75,000 in fees and costs, enabling buyer to successfully complete purchase of property.
- Won bench trial in commercial suit brought against printing business. Decision granted full recovery of attorney’s fees and costs in excess of $20,000 to client.
- Defended developer against suit brought by a municipality for seven figure amount for charges allegedly due under a joint development agreement. Cross-complained for double the amount sought by the municipality and resolved case in mediation on highly favorable terms, with developer receiving net positive recovery.
- Successfully represented seller of commercial property in compelling buyer to purchase according to contract. Obtained summary adjudication in arbitration allowing specific performance in favor, thereby forcing the sale at original price and requiring payment of costs incurred by buyer.
- Brought suit against life insurance carrier and agent for fraud in connection with sale of vanishing premium policy. Obtained settlement in seven figures that fully compensated client and recovered attorney’s fees approaching $100,000.
- Sued carrier for failing to issue properly promised policy and agent who embezzled premium. Obtained settlement paying for attorney’s fees in excess of $50,000 and full coverage of defense and indemnity on personal injury claim where there had been an initial denial of coverage.
- Represented family member in a dispute over ownership of four properties allegedly held in trust or partnership. Case settled favorably before dispositive rulings as court took summary judgment motion under submission three weeks before trial date.
- Represented 50% owners of a travel company regarding dissolution of their business partnership. Litigated case to successful conclusion in arbitration with six figure award in favor of clients and dismissal of all cross-claims. Handled and negotiated residual break-up and regulatory issues.
- Won bench trial verdict in favor of financial company seeking to collect fees for services, plus attorney’s fees and costs.
- Won full amount requested in jury trial for law firm suing to recover for professional services.
- Won non-suit in jury trial in favor of defendant homeowner in action brought by contractor.
- Successfully concluded partition action involving six properties in West Los Angeles. Obtained interlocutory judgment appointing referee.
- Won summary judgment for plaintiff to recover possession of commercial property in unlawful detainer proceeding. Defeated challenges for motion of reconsideration. Prevailed on appeal.
- Won bench trial judgment dismissing action brought by plaintiff on a promissory note seeking in excess of $800,000. Defendant received attorney’s fees and costs award of approximately $200,000.
- California, 1989
- U.S. Court of Appeals Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
- University of California, Boalt Hall School of Law, Berkeley, California, 1989 J.D.
- University of Rochester, Rochester, New York, 1986 B.A., Economics/Political Science Honors: Summa Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa
Professional Associations/Memberships/Community Involvement
- American Bar Association, Member
- AYSO Soccer, Division 70, Coach
- Bet Tzedek Legal Services, Member Board of Directors
- Beverly Hills Bar Association, Member
- Jewish Federation, Legal Services and Real Estate Divisions Cabinet, Member
- Los Angeles Superior Court, Volunteer Small Claims Court Judge Pro Tem
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Member
- Moriah Society, American Jewish University, Member
- Trial Advocacy Project, Volunteer Deputy Prosecutor for City of Los Angeles
Past Employment Positions
- Davidoff Gold LLP, Los Angeles, California, Partner
- Rutter Hobbs and Davidoff Incorporated, Los Angeles California, Partner
- Lillick and Charles, San Francisco, California, Associate
- Brobeck Phleger and Harrison, San Francisco, California, Associate