David Tarlow is Of Counsel and a member of the Litigation and Intellectual Property & Technology Departments.
David Tarlow is a business litigator with a practice dedicated to zealously providing successful legal solutions to business problems in many different sectors, including technology, entertainment, healthcare, real estate and manufacturing. He has significant experience successfully litigating a variety of business disputes, including claims for breach of contract, fraud, intellectual property infringement, misappropriation of trade secrets, breach of fiduciary duties, false advertising, unfair competition, wrongful termination and discrimination, involving matters such as computer software, websites, music royalties, copyrights (music and film), trademarks, insurance coverage and bad faith, real estate, partnerships and corporations. David’s focus in representing his clients is to use his energy, creativity and judgment to develop innovative and cost effective strategies in order to encourage resolution of the business dispute at hand, while at the same time, minimize the impact of litigation on the client.
- Obtained a multimillion dollar jury verdict for breach of contract and fraud following a five week trial, which included a significant punitive damages award, on behalf of music publishing company client against its co-publisher- one of the “big four” music publishing companies.
- Tried court trial to judgment on behalf of the heirs of legendary rock and roll artist against major record label, and obtained declaratory relief regarding the interpretation of the artists’ recording contract.
- Obtained a significant six figure jury verdict, plus attorneys’ fees for purchaser of large factory building, in connection with its breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty claims concerning material misrepresentations made about the condition of the property which housed an aerospace manufacturer.
- Obtained significant six figure jury verdict on a cross-complaint for breach of contract in action between two partners in a real estate venture, and successfully defended against the complaint for breach of contract.
- Obtained a substantial seven figure recovery on claims for breach of contract and fraud on behalf of an information technology services company against a major software manufacturer.
- Obtained a substantial recovery on behalf of client against a competitor for computer fraud and abuse based upon the hacking of a website.
- Obtained a substantial recovery on behalf of a music production company against a law firm for legal malpractice arising from its failure to timely commence a Copyright Infringement action concerning the unauthorized use of the music and video clips of a legendary rock and roll artist.
- Represented a healthcare organization and franchisor, and successfully utilized California writ of attachment procedures to force franchisee to turn over possession of several medical facilities to ECJ client, which enabled that client to recover nearly a million dollars in lost medical billings.
- Coggan & Tarlow (Partner)