Allan B. Cooper is a partner and serves as the Head of the Litigation Department. His practice focuses on business and commercial litigation including breach of fiduciary relationships, business torts, securities and trade practices; insurance litigation including professional liability and legal malpractice, bad faith, and coverage; and real estate litigation including representing financial institutions, developers, title insurers, mortgage bankers and others in matters involving: land-use, brokerage, commercial landlord-tenant problems, construction and mechanics’ liens, lenders’ liability, lis pendens expungement, real property security instruments, specific performance, PMI and mortgage guaranty insurance and title problems.
Mr. Cooper is admitted to the State Bar of California, all courts of the State of California. the United States District Court, Central, Northern and Eastern Districts of California. the United States Court of Appeals, Ninth and Fifth Circuits, and the United States Supreme Court. Mr. Cooper received his J.D. from the University of California at Los Angeles in 1974. During law school, he served as Associate Editor of the UCLA Law Review, 1972-1973, and was selected to Order of the Coif. He attended the University of California at Los Angeles earning an A.B., magna cum laude, in 1971, and was Phi Beta Kappa.
Mr. Cooper is author of Beware: Anti-Growthers Snag Building Permits First, California Builder, 1987; Lis Pendens Expungement Practice: Still Not Much Relief for the Property Owner, Beverly Hills Bar Journal, 1980; and The Prosecutor’s Role in California Sentencing: Advocate or Informant?, UCLA Law Review, 1973. Mr. Cooper served as a consultant for the California Continuing Education of the Bar in 1992 on their publication Handling a Real Property Foreclosure. He is a contributing author of Use and Abuse of Interrogatories, California Continuing Education of the Bar, 1983, 1986. He is a former clinical lecturer in law at the University of Southern California, 1980-1981, and currently teaches business law at California State University Northridge.
His published State opinions include: Western Security Bank v. Superior Court (1997) 15 Cal. 4th 232, 62 Cal. Rptr. 243; Siegel v Fidelity National Title Insurance Co. (1996) 46 Cal. App. 4th 1181, 54 Cal. Rptr. 2d 84; Lambert v. Commonwealth Land Title Ins. Co. (1991) 53 Cal. 3d 1072, 282 Cal. Rptr. 445; Isaac v. A&B Loan Company, Inc. (1988) 201 Cal. App.3d 307, 247 Cal. Rptr. 104; and Elysian Heights Residents Association, Inc. v. City of Los Angeles (1986) 182 Cal. App.3d 21, 227 Cal. Rptr. 226. Federal opinions include: Han v. U.S. (9th Cir. 1991) 944 F.2d 526; Wright v. Schock (N.D. Cal. 1983) 571 F.Supp. 642; and Worldwide Church of God, Inc. v. State of California (9th Cir. 1980) 623 F.23 613.
Mr. Cooper is a member of the Beverly Hills and American Bar Associations, Sections on Litigation and Antitrust Law; and the Association of Business Trial Lawyers. He served as Planning Commissioner for the City of Calabasas from 1992-94; and is Past President, Calabasas Park Homeowners Association.
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Western Security Bank v. Superior Court, 15 Cal. 4th 232, 62 Cal. Rptr. 243 (1997)
- Siegel v Fidelity National Title Insurance Co., 46 Cal. App. 4th 1181, 54 Cal. Rptr. 2d 84 (1996)
- Lambert v. Commonwealth Land Title Ins. Co., 53 Cal. 3d 1072, 282 Cal. Rptr. 445 (1991)
- Isaac v. A&B Loan Company, Inc., 201 Cal. App.3d 307, 247 Cal. Rptr. 104 (1988)
- Elysian Heights Residents Association, Inc. v. City of Los Angeles, 182 Cal. App.3d 21, 227 Cal. Rptr. 226 (1986)
- Han v. U.S., 944 F.2d 526 (9th Cir. 1991)
- Wright v. Schock, 571 F.Supp. 642 (N.D. Cal. 1983)
- Worldwide Church of God, Inc. v. State of California, 623 F.23 613 (9th Cir. 1980)
- Clinical Lecturer, Law, University of Southern California, 1980 – 1981
Honors and Awards
- Phi Beta Kappa