Mayer Nazarian is a business transactional and tax attorney uniquely trained with top regional and national tax firms. His clients benefit from his breadth and depth of accounting and legal experience, as well as exposure to a wide range of businesses and structures.
Mayer assists business owners in developing optimal tax strategies at all stages of an entity's lifecycle, from formation throughout operations, until sale or dissolution.
While tax is a significant part of Mayer's practice, he takes a holistic approach and recognizes that factors like income tax, estate tax, business transactional law, real estate law, family law, etc. may need to be addressed as well. Often, he'll bring in experts to work with his clients, adding value to the services he provides through his wide network of professional resources.
What motivates Mayer is the satisfaction of knowing that he has helped his clients by developing and implementing unique and practical solutions to their problems. By nature, Mayer is a problem solver. He relishes diving into complex issues, the uncommon situations that don’t have quick and easy answers but require thoughtful analysis and technical expertise.
Mayer prefers to work with his clients before the tax authorities are involved, but he has successfully defended his clients against several taxing agencies, at the federal, state, county and city levels.
Prior to joining ECJ, Mayer was Chair of the Tax Department at CKR, a New York-based International law firm. He began his career as a tax professional with the accounting firm of Holthouse, Carlin and Van Trigt, LLP and went on to become a tax manager with Deloitte Tax, LLP. He then started his own law practice which later merged with a boutique tax and estate planning firm in Los Angeles.
Honors & Affiliations
Honors & Recognitions
Best Lawyers in America, 2016-2021
Top Tax Attorney, Avvo
Community & Professional
Beverly Hills Bar Association, Chair, Taxation Section
State Bar of California
American Bar Association, Taxation Section
Los Angeles County Bar Association, Taxation Section
Beverly Hills Bar Association, Business Law, Taxation, and Trust & Estates Sections
Children’s Music Fund, Treasurer
Bet Tzedek, Pro Bono Legal Services
Media & Events
- June 15th Filing Deadline for U.S. Taxpayers Living and Working Overseas is Here06.12.2018
- Innovative Tax Planning with Passive LossesCo-Author, AICPA National Real Estate Conference
- The Domestic Production Activity Deduction: Are You Leaving Money on the Table?Lecture presented before professionals on valuable tax deductions for companies operating in the U.S.
- Shakedown at Gucci Gulch: A Tale of Death, Money & TaxesResearcher for publication by Edward J. McCaffery & Linda R. Cohen related to taxation and politics
- Fair Not Flat: How to Make the Tax System Better and SimplerResearcher for the book by Edward J. McCaffery related to the alternative tax structure
- Los Angeles Consulting Group, Online Event, 04.01.2021
M.B.T., University of Southern California, Marshall School of Business
J.D., University of Southern California, Gould School of Law
B.S., Economics, Minor in Accounting, University of California, Los Angeles
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California