Kimberly N. Brooks is an Associate in the Employment Law Department.
Kimberly’s practice focuses on labor and employment law. She represents employers of all types, including national insurance companies, large medical facilities, upscale resorts, popular restaurants and prominent financial institutions, in employment contract disputes, wage-and-hour class actions, PAGA representative actions, and retaliation and discrimination suits. Kimberly strives to achieve cost-conscious, efficient results for her clients, building cooperative relationships with her opposing counsel and negotiating early resolutions, saving her clients time and time again from the expense and often negative publicity of trial, as well as from millions of dollars in threatened liability.
Kimberly also advises clients on compliance with the complicated array of federal and California employment laws. She reviews and revises workplace policies and employment agreements, provides on-site harassment trainings to employees in English and Spanish, and works closely with companies to assist them with terminations, disciplinary actions and investigations. Kimberly prides herself on being responsive to her clients’ day-to-day needs as they arise.
Prior to joining the Employment Law Department of Ervin Cohen & Jessup Kimberly worked in San Diego at the elite international law firm of Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton LLP, where she developed her passion for representing employers in all kinds of employment disputes and gained invaluable trial experience. In her first year of practice, Kimberly served as lead counsel in a jury trial that resulted in a unanimous verdict for her client, the County of San Diego.
During law school, Kimberly interned at the National Labor Relations Board where she conducted workplace investigations and prepared recommendations for Board action to enforce compliance with the National Labor Relations Act. She also served as President of the Migrant Farmworkers Project, traveling to agricultural sites to communicate with migrant workers about their legal rights.
Today, Kimberly enjoys working directly with the Head of the Employment Law Department, Kelly O. Scott. They work as a team to develop creative and effective results for their clients, many of whom have trusted the firm with their legal representation for decades. In her time outside of the firm, you can find her cooking, practicing yoga, and volunteering with organizations that empower young women to find success in higher education and the professional world.
- The Staff Report, 06.17.2020
- The Staff Report, 05.07.2020
- The Staff Report, 05.06.2020
- The Staff Report, 04.22.2020
- The Staff Report, 04.13.2020
- The Staff Report, 04.09.2020
- The Staff Report, 03.25.2020
- The Staff Report, 03.19.2020
- Breaking News: Federal Court Grants Preliminary Injunction To Block AB 51 Employment Arbitration LawThe Staff Report, 01.31.2020
- The Staff Report, 01.13.2020
- The Staff Report, 01.02.2020
- Sexual Harassment Training Must Now Include Gender Identity, Gender Expression and Sexual OrientationThe Staff Report, 01.22.2018
- New and Proposed Tax Legislation Present New Difficulties for Employers Attempting to Settle Sexual Harassment ClaimsThe Staff Report, 01.17.2018
- The Staff Report, 01.16.2018
- The Staff Report, 01.09.2018
- The Staff Report, 12.14.2017
- Employment Law Reporter, Ervin Cohen & Jessup LLP, 06.11.2020
- Employment Law Reporter, Ervin Cohen & Jessup LLP, 05.19.2020
- Employment Law Reporter, Ervin Cohen & Jessup LLP, 04.09.2020
- Employment Law Reporter, Ervin Cohen & Jessup LLP, 07.29.2019
- Employment Law Reporter, Ervin Cohen & Jessup LLP, 07.22.2019
- Employment Law Reporter, 11.01.2018
- Employment Law Reporter, 08.01.2018
- Employment Law Reporter, 06.13.2018
- Employment Law Reporter, 06.04.2018
- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished - California Supreme Court Decision May Change the Way Employers Calculate OvertimeEmployment Law Reporter, 05.03.2018
- Employment Law Reporter, Ervin Cohen & Jessup LLP, 04.12.2018
- Employment Law Reporter, 02.15.2018
- Employment Law Reporter, 09.21.2017
J.D., University of Virginia School of Law
B.A., University of California, Los Angeles, magna cum laude
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California