Vanja Habekovic is a Partner in the Business & Corporate and Tax Departments.
“Vanja is the best tax wiz I know.”
— Jennifer Reuting, Founder of Incorp Services and Author of Limited Liability Companies for Dummies
Vanja’s clients rely on her dynamic counsel to establish, grow, maintain and sell their businesses and to navigate the important tax consequences that arise when making deals. Vanja has a reputation of not only working closely and collaborating with her clients on existing matters, but looks long term to further develop strategies to advance a company’s future endeavors. She digs deep to understand the business concerns to ensure business and tax counseling is seamless and comprehensive. Addressing taxation issues as part of a greater business plan helps clients maintain the tax efficiency of organizations and transactional decision. Vanja advises clients in a variety of industries, including real estate, technology, fashion and restaurant.
She counsels clients on business and tax planning in connection with:
- Entity formation and choice of entity
- LLC and partnership agreements
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Executive compensation, including equity and deferred compensation agreements
- Inbound and outbound foreign investment
- Pre- and post-immigration tax planning
- Tax disputes with the IRS and the FTB
Prior to joining ECJ, Vanja was a tax associate at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher and Flom LLP. She is also a recipient of the Southern California Rising Stars for 2013, 2014, 2017 and 2018.
Vanja hones her decision strategy skills at the poker table and is also a competitive pool player. She is a gourmet chef, classical pianist and dances tango.
A selection of Vanja’s recent matters include the following:
- Advised a beauty product company in connection with its initial round of financing
- Represented employee in acquisition of stock in cryptocurrency company
- Serve as outside corporate counsel to major fashion retail company
- Negotiated stock deal for sale of an oil refinery maintenance company to a public company
- Structured and negotiated a foreign investor’s acquisition of US real property to minimize income and estate taxes
- Draft phantom equity plan for restaurant group
- Represented a closely held company in the sale of its assets to a large waste management company
- Negotiated tax and executive compensation issues on behalf of a technology company in a tax-free merger
- May 2016 – Foreign Ownership of Residential Real Property, California Association of Realtors – Speaker
- November 2014 – Equity Compensation in Corporations & Partnerships, Beverly Hills Bar Association – Speaker
- March 2013 – Tax Advantages of Real Estate Investing, The Smart Real Estate Investor’s Seminar – Panelist
- Equity Compensation in LLCs and Partnerships Author — California Business Law Practitioner, Spring 2017
- Homes Away From Home Author — Los Angeles Lawyer, January 2016
- Limited Liability Companies for Dummies Author — 3rd Edition, Technical Editor
- Structuring Business and Real Estate Opportunities in the U.S. Author — ECJ News, May 2014
- Look Before You Leap: The IRS Relief Offer on Worker Classification Author — ECJ Taxing Matters, May 2012
- How to Spice Up Restricted Stock Author — ECJ Taxing Matters, May 2012
- Successfully Deducting Success-Based Fees Author — ECJ Taxing Matters, January 2012