Where corporate law is king, Vanja is your ace.
Vanja Habekovic’s clients rely on her dynamic counsel to establish, grow, maintain, and sell their businesses and to navigate the extremely important tax issues and consequences that can occur when making deals. Vanja’s clients include an array of industries from food and beverage companies, real estate groups, private clients, and medical offices. She negotiates, drafts and advises on a variety of business agreements, including LLC, partnership, and acquisition agreements.
Vanja has a reputation of not only working closely and collaborating with her clients on existing matters, but looks long term to further develop strategies to advance a company’s future endeavors. She digs deep to understand the business concerns to ensure that business and tax counseling is seamless and comprehensive. Addressing taxation issues as part of a greater business plan helps clients maintain the tax efficiency of organizational and transactional decisions. She also handles executive compensation matters, including non-qualified deferred compensation plan and stock option plan drafting and advising. She handles all tax disputes at the Federal, State and local level.
Vanja earned her Juris Doctor degree from Stanford Law School. She is a graduate of the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, where she received her Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics with high distinction. She has also been recognized as a “Rising Star” by Southern California’s Super Lawyers for 2013 and 2014. Vanja is also a licensed real estate broker.
Prior to joining ECJ, Vanja was a tax associate at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher and Flom LLP, where she was part of the team that represented Disney in its acquisition of Pixar.
- Part of the team that represented Disney in its acquisition of Pixar
- Represented a closely held company in the sale of its assets to a large waste management company
- Negotiated stock deal for sale of an oil refinery maintenance company to a public company
- Overturned a $5.5 million tax assessment by the City of Beverly Hills for a surgery center client
- Drafted LLC agreements for a Mexican restaurant group in Los Angeles
- Negotiated tax and executive compensation issues on behalf of a technology company in a tax-free merger
- Assisted a land developer in saving approximately $11 million in tax expense by converting ordinary income into capital gain and deferring the tax on a condominium building project
- Structured a gift of appreciated real property to avoid a California property tax reassessment
- Counseled a foreign citizen on structuring a $25 million real estate investment in the U.S. minimizing his U.S. income and estate tax exposure
Vanja is the best tax wiz I know.— Jennifer Reuting, Founder of Incorp Services
- May 2016 – Foreign Ownership of Residential Real Property, California Association of Realtors – Speaker
- November 2014 – Equity Compensation in Corporations & Partnerships, Beverly Hills Bar Association – Speaker
- March 2013 – Tax Advantages of Real Estate Investing, The Smart Real Estate Investor’s Seminar – Panelist
- Homes Away From Home Author — Los Angeles Lawyer, January 2016
- Limited Liability Companies for Dummies Author — 3rd Edition, Technical Editor
- Structuring Business and Real Estate Opportunities in the U.S. Author — ECJ News, May 2014
- Look Before You Leap: The IRS Relief Offer on Worker Classification Author — ECJ Taxing Matters, May 2012
- How to Spice Up Restricted Stock Author — ECJ Taxing Matters, May 2012
- Successfully Deducting Success-Based Fees Author — ECJ Taxing Matters, January 2012