Rusty is a partner in the Litigation Department, specializing in Intellectual Property and Health Care
Rusty believes that optimal legal decisions are not made in a vacuum. He makes a point to learn and understand his client’s business early on to ensure that the litigation approach is aligned with and reinforces the client’s overarching goals and needs. Rusty’s clients normally approach him to collaborate on customized strategies for high-stakes business disputes and tactical lawsuit avoidance. Many find his insight and judgment to be so valuable that they ask him to serve as outside general counsel, advising on a wide breadth of matters and playing a prominent role as part of the client’s brain trust.
Rusty’s practice spans across the business sectors of health care, virtual reality, technology and entertainment, concentrating his focus on intellectual property litigation and licensing, as well as representing numerous healthcare facilities and physicians in a variety of complex business matters throughout California. He also has considerable experience and success litigating real estate matters and more generalized commercial disputes.
He has been recognized numerous years as a “Rising Star” by Southern California’sSuper Lawyers. Mr. Selmont graduated from Stanford University in 2003, phi beta kappa, where he received a Bachelor of Sciences degree in Biological Sciences and Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology. Mr. Selmont received his Juris Doctor degree from Harvard Law School. Prior to joining ECJ, Rusty worked as a litigation associate with Latham & Watkins LLP.
- Represented major film production company in trademark dispute over improper use of film’s titles
- Represented celebrity endorsed headphone manufacturer in trademark litigation settlement
- Represented owner of computer forum software in “bet the company” copyright infringement and trade secret misappropriation lawsuit against competitor
- Represented virtual reality software developer in copyright infringement matter against well-known VR headset manufacturer
- Represented virtual reality content creators in dispute with former partners over ownership of the intellectual property
- Represented major Japanese electronics manufacturer in patent litigation over High-Definition Television Receivers
- Litigated patent infringement lawsuit regarding electronic hookahs and subsequently negotiated patent cross-licensing deal
- Advised numerous startups on IP portfolio creation and retention
- Represented hospital owner in derivative claims of mismanagement, self-dealing and assorted health care violations
- Represented health care facilities in class action employment wage and hour lawsuits
- Represented physicians in litigation over alleged Stark anti-kickback violations
- Represented dermatologist in $2 million partnership dispute with other physicians
- Advise client with respect to False Claims Act allegations resulting from Never Event reporting issues
- Represented real estate buyer dispute in lien settlement against bank valued at $8 million
- Represented real estate broker in complete defense to claims of breach of fiduciary duty totaling over $13 million
- Represented purchaser of $80 million shopping center in fraud claim against the seller
- Represented credit union in defense of claims of breach of contract and fraud related to the sale of loan participation interests