Randy S. Leff is a Co-Managing Partner of ECJ and a Partner in the Litigation Department.
Randy is a business lawyer with over 30 years of experience in trying and resolving “bet the company” disputes in both state and federal court.
He brings to the table substantial knowledge and experience for his business clients, who appreciate his consistently customized, high-quality legal services with his signature enthusiasm, creativity and passion. His long-term clients are in various industries, including:
- Health care
- Real estate
- Food and beverages
- Biotechnology industries
- Financial services
Randy has built his reputation by developing innovative strategies that meet the needs of both the existing cases and the long term goals of the business. By working collaboratively ith his clients, he is able to solve problems creatively and minimize the impact of litigation. Whether it be litigating a multi-state class action matter involving over $100 million dollars, resolving a business dispute before the case is filed, or strategizing business expansion on a stronger legal platform, Randy brings his imagination and tenacity to each matter and consistently delivers exceptional results.
Identifying Randy’s value as an exceptional counsel, many of Randy’s clients ask him to become a member of their management teams in the role of outside general counsel. In this capacity, he can further influence the business by bringing his business acumen, entrepreneurial zeal and problem solving skills to the management team, and he works with his clients and other legal professionals to develop strategies that move the organizations forward.
Through his participation in Geneva Group International, an international group of attorneys and consultants, Randy has been representing Korean, Chinese, and European businesses in both litigation and transactional matters throughout the United States. He also has represented various Korean-American and Chinese-American individuals and entities who are doing business in Los Angeles’ Koreatown and the San Gabriel Valley.
Randy is a frequently requested public speaker and has been selected to present at many GGI seminars: Asia Pacific Regional; European Regional; and Best Practices Conferences. These seminars topics include: “Effective Dispute Resolution in the United States;” “Creating and Sustaining an Environment that Stimulates Business Development Activities;” and “If it is Not Broken, Fix it.”
- Represented group of investors in Koreatown who were defrauded by developer regarding low income housing development. Of the 60 groups of investors who are defrauded by this scheme, our group was the only one who obtained a judgment and recovered damages from the fraudulent developer.
- Represented company that delivers acute dialysis services to various hospitals throughout Southern California, who is sued for wage and hour violations in a class action lawsuit. After extensive discovery, our client was able to negotiate a settlement agreement which was a fraction of the claim alleged.
- Represented real estate sales person who sued for $13 million, based on allegations of fraud, statutory violations and breaches of fiduciary duties. After extensive discovery and motions, we prevailed on a Summary Judgment motion, and the entire action was dismissed.
- Represented band member, in well-known Southern California rock band, in action involving the dissolution of the band. We filed claims to enforce his publishing rights as well as his rights to control all social media involving the band in the future.
- After extensive discovery and mediation, the case was resolved and our client receives all publishing income and controls all rights regarding the band in the future. After working with the developer in Koreatown to develop a shopping center project, we were required to file a lawsuit to compel the landowner to execute 99-year ground lease. After extensive negotiations, the ground the lease was then consummated on the terms originally agreed to. Represented a physician who was defrauded in the sale of a management services organization and IPAA. After extensive negotiations we were able to obtain a multimillion dollar settlement for a client.
Unwavering passion for his clients best interest, impeccable character, superb integrity, astute legal mind, insightful thinking, considerate understanding of the issues coupled with an old fashioned work ethic are only some of the characteristic’s that describe why we are so proud of our long term relationship with Randy Leff. With these attributes, and the ability to employ his outstanding legal training to provide us with maximum solutions to our challenges in a prompt and efficient manner, is what separates Randy from other attorney’s that we have used. I could clearly say more, thanks again for all that you have done for us as you are a true friend, and counselor.— Mendell Thompson, President/CEO of America’s Christian Credit Union
Effective, strategic, cost sensitive, responsive, knowledgeable and client focused legal counsel. As a commercial real estate company with assets located in 5 states, Randy’s responsiveness and range of advice is equivalent to having an in-house General Counsel. He has guided our Company to extraordinary results in major litigation and has achieved stunning results in both arbitration and mediation. He makes it a point to understand our business and his counsel has helped us, time and time again, to achieve legal and business results that are key to our success. Besides Randy’s keen legal knowledge, he is a great listener. Asked how he achieves such great results in litigation and dispute resolution, Randy responded: ‘I listen to what the Judge needs to know to make his decision, not to what I think he should know’.— Michael D. Miller, President of Cordary, Inc.
Randy Leff excels at developing creative strategies, exercises dominating execution, and obtains extraordinary results. Combining these skills with his thoughtfulness make him very special and someone I know I can always count on.— Ronald A. Fischman, Chief Executive Officer of Southland Renal Medical Group, Inc.
- “California Court Holds That Piece Rate Employees Are Entitled To Hourly Pay For Waiting Time” Author — Employment Law Reporter, Ervin Cohen & Jessup LLP, May 2013
- “The Top 20 Mistakes Employers Make When Terminating Employees” Author — Employment Law Reporter, Ervin Cohen & Jessup LLP, August 2012
- “California Cracks Down on Worker Misclassification” and “The Employment Acceleration Act of 2011” Author — Employment Law Reporter, Ervin Cohen & Jessup LLP, December 2011
- “U.S. Policy Regarding Recognition of Foreign States” Author — 1 Hastings International and Comparative Law Review 173