Philip Starr is a partner and member of the firm’s Real Estate and Taxation departments.
His areas of practice include real estate acquisitions, leasing and financing transactions, federal and state tax controversies, tax-deferred exchanges, low income housing tax credits, corporate and partnership taxation, and general business law.
Mr. Starr is a frequent author and lecturer in the areas of his expertise. He received his J.D. from the University of California at Los Angeles. While at UCLA, he was a Judicial Extern to the Honorable Stephen R. Reinhardt, Circuit Court Judge, United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit; a member of the Order of the Coif; and a recipient of the American Jurisprudence Award for Contracts, Wills and Trusts, Torts and Real Property Secured Transactions. For his undergraduate degree, he attended the State University of New York at Binghamton.
American Jurisprudence Award for Contracts, Wills, Trusts & Torts
American Jurisprudence Award for Real Property Secured Transactions
- June 1989 – Organizing and Advising Partnerships, California Continuing Education for the Bar – Panelist
- December 1988 – Chair, “Tax-Deferred Exchange Seminar”, Beverly Hills Bar Association
- “Minimizing Documentary Transfer Taxes in Partnership Transactions” Author — Los Angeles Lawyer, January 1997
- “New Transitional Provisions Enacted for OID and Inputed Interest Rules” Author — California Business Law Reporter, January, 1985
- “Guidelines for the Termination of the Accrual of Interest on Federal Tax Deficiencies” Author — Tax Section News, State Bar of California Tax Section, Spring 1983
- “Personal Tax Planning for Professionals and Owners of Small Businesses” Co-Author — Supplements, California Continuing Education of the Bar, 1985-1990
- “Tax Reform Act of 1984: Pitfalls and Opportunities for the Business Lawyer” Co-Author — California Business Law Reporter, October 1984
- “Tax Planning for Proposed and Outstanding Federal Tax Deficiencies” Co-Author — Tax Section News, State Bar of California Tax Section, Summer 1985
- Hon. Stephen R. Reinhardt, Circuit Court Judge, United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, Judicial Extern, 1982