Patrick A. Fraioli, Jr. is Co-Chair of the Cybersecurity, Data Privacy & E-Commerce Workgroup.
The Los Angeles Business Journal has named Pat Fraioli one of L.A.’s Top 100 Lawyers, and he has been selected for inclusion in Southern California Super Lawyers every year since 2009. As a technology lawyer, Pat represents clients in the courtroom, the boardroom and before government regulatory agencies.
Pat began his career in New York City, in the Intellectual Property group at Weil, Gotshal & Manges. There, he and his colleagues represented many large firms with substantial portfolios of patents, trade secrets, copyrights and/or trademarks, including Genentech, UNIX International, General Electric Capital Corp. and Album Graphics Inc. Since moving to California in the mid-90s, Pat has continued to represent technology firms and funds, from the Inland Empire to Silicon Beach, that are part of “Digital L.A.” and the Los Angeles CleanTech space, including: Internet Brands; Foodbeast, Inc. (foodbeast.com); Women’s Investment Network; Green Commuter, C2GO, Autodata and International Checkout. He has also handled complex, commercial litigation for Fortune 500 clients.
As Co-Chair of the Cybersecurity, Data Privacy & E-Commerce Workgroup, Pat has performed Cyber Risk Assessments, responded to data breaches, acted as litigation counsel, interacted with regulators on notification issues, and worked closely with federal and state law enforcement. He has also lectured extensively, providing keynote addresses, webinars, seminars and panel discussions on encryption, password methodology, the Internet of Things & Big Data.
As a former Member of the New York Stock Exchange, and an investor and entrepreneur himself, Pat brings a unique combination of legal and business experience to his work as a business and technology lawyer. He was appointed as Receiver by the United States District Court in Los Angeles to run a half-billion dollar, international business. He later was appointed, and served, as a business Monitor over the same, worldwide enterprise. Pat has also served as Counsel to a Chinese-American Joint Venture, Western Surgical Partners, with offices in Shanghai, Guangzhou and Hong Kong.
Pat has been a member of the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP), ProVisors’ “Silicon Beach” Group, the All Cities Network, the Nonprofit Advisory Council (NAC) Board, ISSA-LA, and the Leadership Board of “Secure The Village” Cybersecurity Community.
- June 4, 2015 – Executive Forum — ISSA-LA Security Summit 7: “An Information Governance Program Is No Longer Optional For Business” Information Security Systems Association — Los Angeles Chapter — 7th Annual Information Security Summit Los Angeles, CA – Panelist
- Bolton “Best Practices” Speaker Series: “A Proper Information Governance Program Is a Competitive Advantage” – Speaker
- ProVisor’s IT Affinity Group: “Big Data, Information Security & Data Privacy: A Primer” – Speaker
- Managing Partner’s Roundtable: “Every Business Needs An Information Governance Program (And Professional Services Firms Are Businesses, Too)” – Speaker
- All Cities Finance Group: “What Do We Do Now? Data Privacy & Cybersecurity for “Financial Institutions” In The Era of the Data Breach” – Speaker
- Regular Presentations to Businesses and Trade Groups on Data Privacy & Cybersecurity: “Your New, Required Information Governance Program: How Outsourcing Can Help Solve Your Compliance, Budget & Risk Management Needs”
- November 12, 2009 – “How Business Can Avoid Legal Land Mines”, The Century City Business Forum – Speaker
- October 14, 2009 – Speaker, “Enhancing Your Balance Sheet: Protecting Your Trade Secrets”, The Executive Forum
- September 9, 2009 – “Intellectual Property and Fraud: A Sometimes Busy Intersection”, The Century City Business Forum – Speaker
- June 5, 2009 – “Receivership Uses and Practices”, San Gabriel Valley Bar Association – Speaker
- September, 2005 – “Keeping Your Business Out of Court: Legal Audits and Other Preventive Maintenance”, California Capital Market Place – Speaker
- Contributor, People Magazine, CourtTV Radio and similar media outlets
- Good ‘corporate governance’ in the information age requires ‘information governance’ Author — InsideCounsel, October 2015
- “What in the world is … “Information Governance?” Author — InsideCounsel, September 2015
- “THE INCREASING DANGER OF BACKGROUND CHECKS: New Laws and Emerging Privacy Rights Complicate an Already Difficult Process” Author — Employment Law Reporter, Ervin Cohen & Jessup LLP, August 2015
- “The Top 10 Priorities For Your Information Governance Program” Author — Bytes Sites and Rights blog, Ervin Cohen & Jessup LLP, July 8, 2015
- “ECJ Daily Cyber Byte” series Author — Bytes, Sites and Rights blog, Ervin Cohen & Jessup LLP
- “Is Your Business Too Small To Worry About A Data Breach?” Author — Bytes, Sites and Rights blog, Ervin Cohen & Jessup LLP, October 24, 2014
- “California Amends Data Breach Law” Author — Bytes, Sites and Rights blog, Ervin Cohen & Jessup LLP, October 13, 2014
- “Guiding Stars to Help You Navigate the Start-up Waters” (chapter) Author — “Prep Your Client: How to Start Up Your Own Business” (Aspatore Books), June, 2009
- “It’s Never Too Early: The Importance of Making a Will” Author — Celeb Staff, Jan/Feb, 2009
- “Avoid Legal Time Bombs” Author — Entrepreneur.com, MSNBC.com, November 6, 2008
- “Employment Agreements: Top Five Reasons Why You Should Have One” Author — Celeb Staff, September/October, 2008
- “Congress Should Address Patent Reform Act’s Venue Provisions” Author — Daily Journal, September 18, 2008
- “Keeping Your Private Life Private” Author — Celeb Staff, July/August, 2008
- “New Discovery Rules, Same ‘Old’ Ethics Rules” Author — LACBA County Bar Update, Vol. 28, No. 5, May, 2008
- “Attorneys’ Continuing Duties to Court after Termination of Attorney-Client Relationship” Author — LACBA County Bar Update, Vol. 24, No. 11, December, 2004
- Partner, Moldo Davidson Fraioli Seror & Sestanovich LLP, Los Angeles, California, 2002 – 2009
- Principal, Several Small Business Ventures, 1992 – 2002
- Attorney, Weil, Gotshal & Manges, New York City, 1988 – 1992
- Member, New York Stock Exchange, 1998 – 2005
- Investor, 1994 – present