John A. Meyers is a partner and Chair of the firm’s Health Care Law Department.
Mr. Meyers has more than 30 years experience in both the domestic and international arena as a specialist in health care law. Mr. Meyers advises clients on diverse issues such as healthcare acquisitions and restructurings, managed care and integrated delivery systems, payor-provider transactions and relationships, purchase and management of physician groups, payment and reimbursement issues, federal and state regulatory compliance programs and agency or regulatory investigations. Mr. Meyers also has developed an innovative series of negotiating seminars whereby teams of participants negotiate health care contracts of many types in a competitive environment that teaches negotiating techniques as well as substantive legal and business issues.
Mr. Meyers is admitted to the State Bar of California. He received his LL.B. from the University of California at Los Angeles School of Law. He is a native Californian. Born in Santa Monica, he earned his undergraduate degree from the University of California at Berkeley.
Before joining Ervin Cohen & Jessup LLP, Mr. Meyers led the Los Angeles Healthcare Practice Group for the Century City Office of the Chicago-based law firm of Katten Muchin Zavis & Weitzman. Prior to that, he was Senior Vice President, Associate General Counsel, Chief Operations Counsel, Chief Counsel – International Affairs, and Special Counsel to the CEO of Tenet Healthcare Corporation (formerly National Medical Enterprises, Inc.) and had previously served as General Counsel to Summit Health Ltd. (now merged with OrNda).
Mr. Meyers served on the Board of Directors for the California Dance Institute, and continues to handle non-profit and tax exempt issues for CDI. He also serves on the Board of Ares Capital, a New York hedge fund. In addition, Mr. Meyers is a frequent speaker for healthcare and professional legal organizations in the areas of his expertise. He is a member of the Los Angeles County Bar Association; the American Bar Association; the National Health Lawyers Association and was formerly on the Executive Committee of the Business Section of the Beverly Hills Bar Association and various specialty sections.
Mr. Meyers also serves on the Editorial Advisory Board of the American Health Lawyers Association’s Federal Healthcare Laws & Regulations 2011 – 2015, the AHLA’s 4 volume, leading compilation of Federal health care laws.
- Represented publicly-held hospitals in sale of hospitals to non-profit chain
- Represented publicly-held hospitals in a risk pool dispute regarding a closed San Diego facility
- Participated in or led sale of over 75 acute care facilities, as well as other multi-facility transactions involving acute, psychiatric, rehabilitation hospitals and other free-standing ambulatory surgical facilities, representing buyers, sellers and investors; purchased and sold three HMOs, created one from scratch in central California, represented an equivalent limited license plan in the drafting of its form contracts and on selected business and medical practice issues
- Counseled on or drafted transaction documents for multiple physician hospital imaging, ambulatory surgical and obstetrical ventures
- Negotiated and restructured faculty practice plans with four universities
- Represented local private university granting nursing, allied medical and osteopathic degrees
- Settled $40M in provider-payer disputes in a single transaction
- Restructured and analyzed failure of capitated medical groups
- Rolled up physician practices for public offerings
- Represented individual and small group physician sellers in the sale of their practices
- Represented radiology groups, large medical groups and individual physicians practicing in orthopedics, neuro and neuro vascular surgery, geriatrics, cardiology, ophthalmological surgery, internal medicine, ENT, pathology, plastic and cosmetic surgery practice and clinic/forensic psychologist in organizational, financial, regulatory, contracting and billing matters
- Represented condominium association of physician-owned building in dispute with ground lessor
- Represented suppliers of equipment and pharmaceuticals under workers compensation arrangements, advising on pricing, billing and internal corporate matters
- Represented Internet consortium of plastic surgeons headquartered in PA and marketing services in CA and nationally
- Represented company conducting clinical trials on commercial business basis
- Advised district hospitals regarding a research joint venture with University, University-related transactions, and operational and contractual issues
- Negotiated and wrote the then largest government to government foreign military sales health care contract for commissioning and operation of 250 bed acute care hospital in Taif, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- Negotiated contract in Dhahran under urgent conditions related to threat of impending war; negotiated turnkey construction contracts for associated staff housing
- Negotiated and wrote equipment contracts in Abu Dhabi and Dubai
- Participated and/or led separate purchases of Mt. Elizabeth and American Hospitals in Singapore, health care laboratory testing company in Australia, joint hospital venture in Malaysia and construction of a hospital in Thailand
- Represented various free-standing hospitals
- Represented hospitals in triple net operating leases
- Oversaw legal aspects of construction of several hospitals, including conceptualization of unique ownership structures of related buildings
- Lead counsel for Health Plans & Systems division of publicly-traded company
- Created and sold California HMO, Sold and bought four HMOs
- Devised legal compliance plans and filed required periodic reports on compliance with health care laws, billing practices and other matters with federal agencies regarding various providers and suppliers
- Lead counsel on development of university private practice hospital
- Instituted and executed compliance audits at various health institutions and groups
- Handled investigation by the U.S. Department of Commerce involving compliance with Anti-Boycott rules
- Represented fourteen hospitals when they became embroiled in a regulatory investigation implicating federal and state health care agencies
- Supervised disposition and lead counsel on the sale and reorganization of psychiatric and rehabilitation hospitals
- Healthcare and Professional Legal Organizations – Speaker
- Accountable Care Organizations UCLA – School of Public Health – Speaker
- “Federal Healthcare Laws and Regulations” Co-Author — American Health Lawyers Association,, 2011-2015 Editions
- “Fraud and Abuse After the 2010 Health Care Reform Bill” Author — 2010 Health Care Reform Podcast Series, Law Firm Alliance
- “Protecting Against Insolvency” Author — Health Plans Contracting Handbook, A Guide for Payers and Providers, American Health Lawyers Association, 5th Ed., November 2008
- Various trade and internal corporate commentary Author
- Katten Muchin Zavis & Weitzman, Century City Office
- Tenet Healthcare Corporation, Senior Vice President, Associate General Counsel, Chief Counsel – International Business; and Special Counsel to the CEO
- Summit Health Ltd., General Counsel
- Eamer, Bedrosian & Kardashian, Brentwood, CA