Irán Hopkins is Of Counsel in the Corporate and Real Estate departments.
Ms. Hopkins advises clients on both specific transactions and as outside general counsel in all aspects of real estate and business transactions and day-to-day operations, including structuring joint ventures and ownership, acquisition and disposition of interests and business assets, commercial contracts, service and use agreements, purchase and sale of real estate, commercial and residential leasing, construction and development, property management, equity investments and debt financing, insurance and business succession planning, disputes and risk management, branding, licensing, and intellectual property rights. Ms. Hopkins is fluent in Spanish.
Ms. Hopkins is an active member of the Los Angeles community and has served in a variety of volunteer capacities throughout her professional career, including donating her time offering pro bono legal services to the Harriett Buhai Center for Family Law, where she was awarded the Frances Wender Kandel Volunteer of the Year Award in 2013. Ms. Hopkins received the State Bar of California’s Wiley W. Manuel award for voluntary provision of legal services to the poor in March 2010, February 2011 and March 2013. She is also active with the Junior League of Los Angeles and LACMA’s Avant‑Garde.
Ms. Hopkins is a Commissioner on the Commission on Disability for the City of Los Angeles, appointed by Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti to a term ending June 30, 2018.
Irán earned a joint J.D./M.B.T. at the University of Southern California (USC), and her B.A. with honors at Texas Christian University, with majors in Latin America Studies and Spanish and a minor in Geography.
- Representation of a minority owner in the acquisition of a majority interest in a MLS and a NWSL franchise from a worldwide sports and media conglomerate and concurrent corporate restructuring and refinancing of soccer-specific stadium, including negotiation of post-closing transition agreements, naming rights agreement and material sponsorships, serving as equity counsel to new majority owner in structuring joint venture with new and continuing minority owners, and ongoing representation post-closing.
- Representation of family offices and affiliated entities in vetting, structuring, negotiating and documenting investments in real estate, established and start-up businesses across industries, loan and financing transactions, personal transactions for ultimate beneficial owners including aircraft and residential property, and transactions in estate and trust administration.
- Representation of U.S. real estate private equity groups in fund formation and structuring and documenting domestic and cross-border joint venture transactions in the purchase, sale and development of non U.S. commercial and residential real estate investment properties.
- Advise clients in how to own and gift property, and documentation of transfers of interest, equity restructuring and related party financing in trust administration transactions.
- Complex transactions, including acquisitions, dispositions and restructuring equity and debt for new and exiting investors and private and institutional lenders and borrowers, ongoing representation in day-to-day operations of businesses and underlying properties across asset classes, and structuring tax efficient ownership.
- Representation of clients in the California cannabis industry.
- Representation of U.S. brands and operating companies expanding business presence and operations into international markets, including establishing new subsidiaries and operations in Mexico, and the acquisition of a company and apparel factory in Indonesia.
- Outside general counsel to hotel group and Rodeo Drive retail landlord, including negotiating luxury retail leases and refinancing of real property, and advising on business operations, franchising and brand licensing for hotels and worldwide hotel reservations system, protecting intellectual property rights, domain name disputes, infringement claims, eminent domain, employee and NLRB matters, and supervising special counsel in insurance defended litigation.
- Representation of media and entertainment companies in analysis of foreign sales and leasing to determine tax benefits, including comprehensive review of global operations, consolidated financial statements, licensing agreements, royalty streams, the lifecycle of film and media products from new release through home entertainment, library residuals, production and post-production processes, advertising and promotion and international distribution.