Mr. Finch is an Associate in the Business & Corporate and Privacy & Data Security Law Departments.
Mr. Finch provides legal counsel to entrepreneurs, investors and companies on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, commercial transactions and general business matters. Guided by his clients’ objectives, and with meticulous attention to detail, he delivers sophisticated, forward-thinking advice in order to close deals and successfully navigate the legal and commercial complexities of today’s business world.
In addition, Mr. Finch has developed expertise in a wide range of cutting-edge privacy and data security issues. His expertise includes cyber preparedness, incident response, information governance, data privacy and analyzing such topics in the context of M&A and commercial transactions. In this area of his practice, he collaborates with his clients to develop and implement enterprise-wide best practices to comply with the complex patchwork of laws and regulations. And following any data breach, he helps his clients effectively handle compliance and risk management issues.
Mr. Finch also serves on the Leadership Council of SecureTheVillage, a non-profit whose mission is to provide executives in the business and not-for-profit community with the knowledge, resources and relationships they need to meet today’s privacy and data security challenges.
Mr. Finch graduated from Vanderbilt University, where he received a Bachelor of Sciences degree in Human and Organizational Development (business counseling), and minored in Economics. He graduated from Rutgers School of Law – Camden, where he received the highest academic award (Dean Scholar) for his first two years and served as the Treasurer of the Sports and Entertainment Law Society, and then completed his last year at UCLA School of Law to further study domestic and international intellectual property and business transactions.
His passions include cooking, exploring new restaurants in Los Angeles, and watching sports.
- Representing a startup that is in the business of producing branded content campaigns, brand events and food-themed festivals, by preparing, among other things, its Master Service Agreement, Production Agreements, Event Sponsorship Agreements and Content Distribution Agreements.
- Represented a manufacturer of bath and beauty products (with international distribution channels) in the sale of its business.
- Represented Glacier Water Services, Inc. in its merger with Primo Water Corporation.
- Represented a law firm in its data privacy and cybersecurity assessment and gap analysis, in order to measure the firm's data privacy and cybersecurity program versus overall best practices.
- Represented a private investment fund in the mobile home industry in its creation of (a) a subscription agreement and related agreements, and (b) a data privacy and cybersecurity program.
- Represented a specialty auto parts manufacturer and distributor in its sale to a Japanese corporation.
- Represented a private investment company in its acquisition of ownership interests in the Major League Soccer professional soccer club known as Houston Dynamo, the National Women’s Soccer League professional soccer club known as Houston Dash, and the sports facility known as BBVA Compass Stadium in downtown Houston, Texas.
- Represented a steel processing company in its sale to a Texas holding company.
- Represented a global leader in digital writing solutions in its acquisition of a maker of smartpens and smartpen technology.
- Represented an international company that provides inventory information management services in its sale to an international company specializing in enterprise application software.
- Represented a company in the food and beverage industry in its investigation of a data breach and subsequent notification to its customers, regulators and other third parties.
- Represented a company that experienced a “business e-mail compromise” wherein Mr. Finch advised the company on implementing immediate remedial measures through law enforcement, insurance recovery and by updating internal wire transfer procedures.
- Represented companies in their M&A activities by preparing and reviewing due diligence requests regarding privacy and data security practices.
- Represented a variety of companies in their formation or revision of privacy and data security policies and procedures, including privacy notices and terms and conditions for their websites and apps, incident response plans, acceptable use policies and business continuity plans.
- "Data Privacy and Security: What Every M&A Adviser Must Consider" Author — Westlaw Journal Mergers & Acquisitions, September 23, 2016
- “Good ‘Corporate Governance’ in the Information Age Requires ‘Information Governance’” Author — Inside Counsel, October 8, 2015
- “What in the World is … ‘Information Governance’” Author — Inside Counsel, September 17, 2015
- “The Top 10 Priorities For Your Information Governance Program” Author — Bytes Sites and Rights blog, Ervin Cohen & Jessup LLP, July 8, 2015
- “ECJ Daily Cyber Byte” series Author — Bytes, Sites and Rights blog, Ervin Cohen & Jessup LLP