Eric delivers results in health care transactions and business disputes.
Eric concentrates his practice on solving problems for hospitals, medical groups, and physicians on a wide variety of transactions. Eric’s background is unique. With extensive experience on both the transactional and litigation sides of the law, his thoughtful perspective gives him a creative edge in structuring, negotiating, and consummating complex deals and unraveling disputes.
Eric’s practice revolves around mergers, acquisitions, restructurings, and affiliations in the health care industry. Clients particularly value Eric’s judgment on physician alignment models, medical staff and licensure issues, and developing and managing health plans and accountable care organizations. Of course, Eric also is intimately familiar with federal and state regulatory compliance concerning anti-kickback, self-referral, and HIPAA laws, risk management, and litigation avoidance.
Eric’s approach to solving problems is pragmatic. He understands that legal strategies must arise from business objectives. Also, with a background in biology, Eric maintains a deep and abiding intellectual and legal interest in biotechnology including stem cell, immunology, transplant, and communicable disease issues that have the potential to alter, and even transform, the nature of health care and the delivery and payment systems.
- Developed a nationally distinguished academic medical center between a premier health system and a leading medical school
- Coordinated and affiliated an acute care hospital with a nationally recognized comprehensive cancer center
- Outside general counsel for multiple acute care hospitals
- Purchase and sale of medical group practices and related real property
- Leasing medical office space
- Established a hospital-based radiology practice
- Stark and anti-kickback statute compliance
- Represented medical billing and accounts receivable company in a dispute with its employees
- Investigated altercation between surgeons
- Compensation arrangements, physician recruiting, hiring and other employment issues for medical groups and hospitals
- Contractual disputes arising from services arrangements
- Prosecuted action for real estate developer in a multi-million dollar construction dispute
- Structured clinical integrated network
- Litigated leasehold disputes for landlords for possession and damages
- Defended seller of real property in a suit involving water intrusion, mold, and alleged nondisclosure of prior litigation and construction without permits
- Defended misappropriation of trade secret action where ticketing service provider alleged that venue developed a copy-cat ticketing system
- Represented both borrowing and lending entities in loan disputes and modification
- Interviewed and Quoted in, "What Attorneys Need to Know About Trump's Opioid Policies" by Jeff Overley — Law 360, 08/09/2017
- Interviewed and Quoted in, "GOP Senators, Governors, Rethinking American Healthcare Act" by Susan Morse — Healthcare Finance News, 05/17/2017
- Interviewed and Quoted in, “Affordable Healthcare Keeps Getting Pricier” by Stephanie Henkel — San Fernando Valley Business Journal, 11/28/2016