Eric delivers results in health care transactions and business disputes.
Eric concentrates his practice on solving problems for hospitals, medical groups, and physicians on a wide variety of transactions. Eric’s background is unique. With extensive experience on both the transactional and litigation sides of the law, his thoughtful perspective gives him a creative edge in structuring, negotiating, and consummating complex deals and unraveling disputes.
Eric’s practice revolves around mergers, acquisitions, restructurings, and affiliations in the health care industry. Clients particularly value Eric’s judgment on physician alignment models, medical staff and licensure issues, and developing and managing health plans and accountable care organizations. Of course, Eric also is intimately familiar with federal and state regulatory compliance concerning anti-kickback, self-referral, and HIPAA laws, risk management, and litigation avoidance.
Eric’s approach to solving problems is pragmatic. He understands that legal strategies must arise from business objectives. Also, with a background in biology, Eric maintains a deep and abiding intellectual and legal interest in biotechnology including stem cell, immunology, transplant, and communicable disease issues that have the potential to alter, and even transform, the nature of health care and the delivery and payment systems.
- Developed a nationally distinguished academic medical center between a premier health system and a leading medical school
- Coordinated and affiliated a large acute care hospital with a nationally recognized comprehensive cancer center
- Outside general counsel for two acute-care hospitals
- Purchase and sale of medical group practice and related medical office building
- Established a hospital-based radiology practice
- Represented a hospital facing Stark and anti-kickback violations
- Represented medical billing and accounts receivable company in a dispute with its employees
- Investigated altercation between surgeons
- Physician recruiting, hiring and other employment issues for medical groups and hospitals
- Litigated contractual dispute between start-up telecommunications company and international call-center services company
- Prosecuted action for real estate developer in a multi-million dollar construction dispute
- Litigated leasehold disputes for landlords for possession and damages
- Defended seller of real property in a suit involving water intrusion, mold, and alleged nondisclosure of prior litigation and construction without permits
- Defended misappropriation of trade secret action where ticketing service provider alleged that venue developed a copy-cat ticketing system
- Represented law firm in action by former attorney for wrongful termination and discrimination
- Resolved disputes between neighbors involving allegations of trespass, invasion of privacy and removal of trees along common border
- Represented State Court Receivers in completing construction of tract-home development and liquidating assets
- Represented commercial sweeper manufacturer in disputes with customers, dealers, as well as with municipalities regarding competitive bidding practices
- Represented both borrowing and lending entities in loan disputes and modification
- Interviewed and Quoted in, "What Attorneys Need to Know About Trump's Opioid Policies" by Jeff Overley — Law 360, 08/09/2017
- Interviewed and Quoted in, "GOP Senators, Governors, Rethinking American Healthcare Act" by Susan Morse — Healthcare Finance News, 05/17/2017
- Interviewed and Quoted in, “Affordable Healthcare Keeps Getting Pricier” by Stephanie Henkel — San Fernando Valley Business Journal, 11/28/2016