Eric Cheung is a seasoned litigator and healthcare attorney.
Eric Cheung is a partner in ECJ’s litigation and healthcare groups, concentrating his practice on high-stakes business and real property disputes and representing hospitals, universities, medical groups, and physicians. With experience on both litigation and transactions, his unique perspective gives him a creative edge in unraveling disputes, and negotiating and consummating complex deals.
Mr. Cheung’s litigation practice includes breach of contract, construction law, fraud, unfair competition, intellectual property, and professional negligence. His healthcare practice includes mergers, acquisitions, restructures, affiliations, real estate, construction, leasing, and physician recruiting and employment. Mr. Cheung counsels clients on developing and managing health plans and accountable care organizations. Mr. Cheung also handles fraud and federal and state regulatory compliance issues, and risk management and litigation avoidance.
Mr. Cheung’s approach to solving problems is pragmatic. He understands that legal strategies must arise from his clients’ business objectives. With extensive experience and a proven track record, Mr. Cheung is amply prepared to critically analyze issues and counsel clients to achieve their goals. Also, with a background in biology, Mr. Cheung maintains a deep and abiding intellectual and legal interest in biotechnology including stem cell, immunology, transplant, and communicable disease issues that have the potential to alter, and even transform, the nature of health care and the delivery and payment systems.
- Litigated contractual dispute between start-up telecommunications company and international call-center services company
- Prosecuted action for real estate developer in a multi-million dollar construction dispute
- Litigated leasehold disputes for landlords for possession and damages
- Defended seller of real property in a suit involving water intrusion, mold, and alleged nondisclosure of prior litigation and construction without permits
- Defended misappropriation of trade secret action where ticketing service provider alleged that venue developed a copy-cat ticketing system
- Represented law firm in action by former attorney for wrongful termination and discrimination
- Resolved disputes between neighbors involving allegations of trespass, invasion of privacy and removal of trees along common border
- Represented State Court Receivers in completing construction of tract-home development and liquidating assets
- Represented commercial sweeper manufacturer in disputes with customers, dealers, as well as with municipalities regarding competitive bidding practices
- Represented both borrowing and lending entities in loan disputes and modification
Representative Healthcare Matters
- Developed a nationally distinguished academic medical center between a premier health system and a leading medical school
- Coordinated and affiliated an large acute care hospital with a nationally recognized comprehensive cancer center
- Represented a hospital in lease dispute with commercial tenants implicating Stark and anti-kickback violations
- Represented medical billing and accounts receivable company in a dispute with its employees