Eric Cheung is a seasoned healthcare attorney and litigator.
Eric is a partner in ECJ’s healthcare and litigation practice groups, concentrating his practice on representing hospitals, universities, medical groups, and physicians on a wide variety of transactions and business disputes. With experience on both transactions and litigation, his unique perspective gives him a creative edge in structuring, negotiating, and consummating complex deals and unraveling disputes.
Eric’s healthcare practice revolves around mergers, acquisitions, restructurings, and affiliations, transactions involving real estate, construction, and leasing, and physician recruiting and employment. Eric counsels clients on developing and managing health plans and accountable care organizations. Eric also handles federal and state regulatory compliance issues, risk management, and litigation avoidance.
Eric’s approach to solving problems is pragmatic. He understands that legal strategies must arise from his clients’ business objectives. Also, with a background in biology, Eric maintains a deep and abiding intellectual and legal interest in biotechnology including stem cell, immunology, transplant, and communicable disease issues that have the potential to alter, and even transform, the nature of health care and the delivery and payment systems.
- Developed a nationally distinguished academic medical center between a premier health system and a leading medical school
- Coordinated and affiliated a large acute care hospital with a nationally recognized comprehensive cancer center
- Outside general counsel for two acute-care hospitals
- Purchase and sale of medical group practice and related medical office building
- Established a hospital-based radiology practice
- Represented a hospital facing Stark and anti-kickback violations
- Represented medical billing and accounts receivable company in a dispute with its employees
- Investigated altercation between surgeons
- Physician recruiting, hiring and other employment issues for medical groups and hospitals
- Litigated contractual dispute between start-up telecommunications company and international call-center services company
- Prosecuted action for real estate developer in a multi-million dollar construction dispute
- Litigated leasehold disputes for landlords for possession and damages
- Defended seller of real property in a suit involving water intrusion, mold, and alleged nondisclosure of prior litigation and construction without permits
- Defended misappropriation of trade secret action where ticketing service provider alleged that venue developed a copy-cat ticketing system
- Represented law firm in action by former attorney for wrongful termination and discrimination
- Resolved disputes between neighbors involving allegations of trespass, invasion of privacy and removal of trees along common border
- Represented State Court Receivers in completing construction of tract-home development and liquidating assets
- Represented commercial sweeper manufacturer in disputes with customers, dealers, as well as with municipalities regarding competitive bidding practices
- Represented both borrowing and lending entities in loan disputes and modification