Elliot N. Kermani is Of Counsel in the Business & Corporate Department.
Elliot has over two decades of experience advising Fortune 500 companies, start-ups and emerging growth ventures, investors and entrepreneurs, and small to mid-market businesses. Some of the companies he has worked with include Yahoo!, Goldman Sachs, LegalZoom, UrbanDaddy, and The Wonderful Company.
Elliot’s practice includes providing strategic, legal and business counsel to technology, hospitality, internet, digital media, e-commerce, entertainment, retail, real estate, and financial service companies. He primarily works on corporate and commercial matters, such as mergers and acquisitions, licensing and technology deals, financings and investments, corporate and LLC formation and governance, product launches, and advertising, branding and marketing arrangements.
Elliot is well-versed in drafting, negotiating and analyzing purchase and sale agreements, licensing agreements, development and distribution deals, equity and debt financing documents, software and SaaS contracts, non-disclosure agreements, sponsorship and promotional deals, intellectual property arrangements, vendor agreements, service and supply contracts, partnership agreements, commercial leases, and website terms and privacy policies. He also advises companies on a variety of day-to-day transactional and business matters, including compliance, regulatory and intellectual property issues, company policies, dispute resolutions, business strategies, and partnership and business development opportunities.
Elliot has vast experience in digital media, e-commerce and internet law, including managing and collaborating with sales, marketing and technology teams in the creation and implementation of branded mobile, web-based and other interactive digital platforms. He is also well versed in forging strategic partnerships and marketing opportunities, designing and launching products, developing revenue generating and monetization strategies, structuring business development deals, and expanding into new distribution channels.
Elliot has significant domestic and international corporate transactional experience managing all aspects of mergers and acquisitions, venture capital and project financings, and equity and debt offerings, including initial public offerings, private placements, convertible notes and SAFEs, and angel and seed investments.
Elliot is highly skilled at directing both private and public companies on corporate and LLC formation and governance, company policies and procedures, SEC filings, enterprise risk management, and general business and operational matters.
Prior to joining Ervin Cohen & Jessup, Elliot served as Lead Corporate Attorney as part of the Product Innovation team at LegalZoom and founded EK LAW, a full service business law firm and consulting company. He was also previously an associate at Goldman Sachs, in-house counsel for Yahoo! and The Wonderful Company (FIJI Water, POM Pomegranate Juice and Wonderful Brand Pistachios), and a Senior Associate at top-tier international corporate law firms of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher and Flom and DLA Piper.
In addition to his legal experience, Elliot brings first-hand business experience as an entrepreneur and business owner himself. Elliot has been a founder and part of the management and operational teams to numerous companies including UrbanDaddy, a leading entertainment and lifestyle digital media company.
- Represented the Walt Disney Company in its $7.4 billion acquisition of Pixar Animation Studios.
- Represented Caesar’s Entertainment in its $5.2 billion acquisition by Harrah’s Entertainment.
- Representing private equity investment firm in its acquisition of 87 Pizza Huts, Taco Bells and A&W/Long John Silver’s restaurants in Hawaii, Guam and Saipan.
- Corporate counsel to hospitality and nightlife company in connection with its acquisition and operations of a restaurant, nightlife and entertainment space in the Chinatown area of Los Angeles, California, including a $3 million early stage financing.
- Represented celebrity hair salon in $800,000 friends and family round of financing.
- Corporate counsel to start-up company developing a new mobile payment and advertising platform, search engine and social network including a $10 million early stage financing.
- Corporate counsel to entertainment and nightlife company in the acquisition and operations of The Key Club Hollywood in West Hollywood, California, including a content distribution and licensing strategic partnership with a live-streaming video website.
- Represented real estate investors in the purchase and lease-back of restaurant space in Canoga Park, California to restaurant chain.
- Corporate counsel to mommy-and-me company focused on the development of a child’s brain and motor skills through sensory play.
- Represented property owner in the leasing of multi-unit commercial retail space in Costa Mesa, California to high-end yoga studio and bridal salon.
- Represented property owner in the leasing of commercial retail space in Culver City, California to an eco-friendly car wash.
- Represented a celebrity in licensing of name and likeness to a commercial product line and the related endorsement, advertising and promotion of the products.
- Corporate counsel to nightlife company in the operations of bar and lounge in Hollywood, California including a $250,000 friends and family round of financing.
- Corporate counsel to branding and marketing agency and mobile and web development company with leading brands in tech, fashion, sports, music, culinary, and consumer products industries.
- Corporate counsel to international tour company providing private city and museum tours in England, Italy, Spain, and the United States.
- Represented celebrity photographer and philanthropist in his partnership with model and actress Cara Delevingne to endorse his organization dedicated to creating greater awareness of the extinction of endangered species around the world.